SoapMaking Friend Recipe Calculator INCORRECT Regarding Adapting Recipe Size to Cylinder Dimensions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, good to know about all of that! I don't use the batch functions at all, but might some day if I ever start selling for real (as opposed to the occasional special order from friends and family). And alas, I'm a Mac-head, so SM3 is not an option for me unless I want to go through the trouble of using Parallels or VMWare to make my Mac act like a PC in order to run PC programs or apps.

I came here same as @Professor Bernardo from encountering some oddities myself. Seeing the forum kinda dead I was curious if this calc is worth using. Thankfully the bones are good, it's a shame there's some broken functions on the SMF calculator tho as it's got so much going for it. The custom oil option itself is worth the price of admission, especially with the complete fatty acid profiles.

I've come across a few annoyances myself. Editing an existing recipe by changing one oil percentage automatically zeros out all the other oils weights in grams. The easy fix to that is to simply delete a number on the percent column and reenter it on every oil to get the gram weight to show again. Thank goodness the percentage numbers don't disappear.

Well I'm having an issue saving my 19th recipe. Stays "saving..." and never confirms the save. I opened SMF in another tab and confirmed it hasn't saved. Is there a limit to how many recipes I can save, or is there some quirk that will prevent a save that I've inadvertently stumbled on?

Edit- well I got it to save. I did it by loading an existing recipe, changing the ingredients (and name) to my new recipe, and "save as new" recipe instead of "update." Strangely despite it not showing up on my list, a pop up stated I already had that recipe name and to rename. I continued, and well now it's in my recipe list. Might be a one off, who knows, just posting this in case anyone else experiences issues.

Last edited:
Well I'm having an issue saving my 19th recipe. Stays "saving..." and never confirms the save. I opened SMF in another tab and confirmed it hasn't saved. Is there a limit to how many recipes I can save, or is there some quirk that will prevent a save that I've inadvertently stumbled on?

Edit- well I got it to save. I did it by loading an existing recipe, changing the ingredients (and name) to my new recipe, and "save as new" recipe instead of "update." Strangely despite it not showing up on my list, a pop up stated I already had that recipe name and to rename. I continued, and well now it's in my recipe list. Might be a one off, who knows, just posting this in case anyone else experiences issues.

In my experience, when that happens, I have taken far too long to get around to saving the recipe. Like an hour or more. The solution I have found is to save early and edit when necessary. But I am also aware that if I wait a long time to save and edit, it also doesn't save. So, again, I save early and edit again later, if necessary.

No, it's not a one-off. It happens to me frequently because I dawdle and tweak and so on before I feel the document is ready to save.

Back