Soapmaking Friend - Part 4

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Dec 12, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 8, 2019 #121

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin

Looking into getting those answers for you.

2. Mar 9, 2019 #122

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Can you change the Number Font ?

The ZERO has a 'DOT' in the middle ( for us that don't want to use our glasses all the time ) makes it look like an 8.

Sorry I am between scripts for the glasses so I wear it for screens but not for anything else. makes it hard to put glasses on and off if I want to quickly look on this.

I need to find the post about how to add liquid Milks... not from a powder form.

3. Mar 9, 2019 #123

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

*For the print out, not the calculator part.

o_O I never noticed that dot before, and now I'm wondering if I put too much avocado oil in my soap this week!

Na-- Even Pax said the zero looks like an 8, and his eyes are only 12 years old.

4. Mar 9, 2019 #124

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Glad it isn't just me with the zero - 8 thing :)

This is not coming out how I expect it, so grain of salt please ....
    Not sure why I thought this, but if you are adding Goats, coconut or anything else that adds lather or fats I thought it would change the recipe in this Calc.
    So the additive is just for your notes really since it doesn't add or subtract anything to the soap 'specs' just if you need to take out liquid or not ?

5. Mar 10, 2019 #125

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

We are looking at this right now! Thank you all for the help on this- we definitely want to fix this.

artemis likes this.
  6. Mar 25, 2019 #126

Rune

Rune

Rune

I would like to see superfat in the minus range.
    Why? Because if your Naoh is not very pure, setting the superfat to -1, -2 or something else, solves that problem.

I would like to have the possibility to add superfats as a scale, from X to X. For example from -5 to 10.
    It is actually useful. The lye calculator from Handmade by Katrin in Germany have it. I used it last to estimate if my soap had become lye heavy or not. I created a recipe with the actual measurements I used instead of the original measurements in the recipe. I estimated a naoh purity and calculated in both my citric acid and my vinegar. Then use the scale to see where I landed, approximately. My soap were not lye heavy with good margin. Without the scale it would have been more work to find out.
    I also use the scale when making dual lye recipes to find a superfat level that gives me easier numbers to work with, given that my scale only measures to the nearest gram. Instead of 5.45 Koh and 111,33 Naoh at a given superfat leven. I can look at the scale and choose another superfat level that will give me for example 5 Koh and 110,06 Naoh. Convenient.

I would also like to be able to set Naoh purity, just as you can with Koh purity.
    Why? If you manage to measure your lye purity, you want to be able to input it somewhere and get the calculations done for you - how many grams of your lye you have to weigh out. Or if you know your lye has lost strength, for example the appearance big lumps in it, you can guess a purity level and get a more accurat recipe than if you have to use 100% strength.

And I would like to be able to set my vinegar strength.
    Why? To make the lye calculator also user friendly to soapmakers elsewhere than in just North-America. I have 35% vinegar, Sweden 12%, Australia 6% and there are many vinegars to buy in different countries in different strength. I have not seen 5% vinegar in Sweden, for example. They might have it, but that is not the common type. I can get 5%, but it is much cheaper to buy 35%, and easier to use since it last much longer and have less volume to store.

I personally don't like that the recipes by default are public.
    Why? Because I use calculators to create recipes, experiment, do this and that. If I forget to remove the "recipe is public" tab each time, a lot of things will be published that are not finished recipes. And I use a mixed fat that I have to soap as palm oil, but it is not palm oil. If that was published by mistake, it will be an highly incorrect recipe someone might use. But this is just my personal view based on my use of calculators. I do understand why it is set to public by default.

The "clear" and "search recipe" buttons at the left side of the recipe database does not work (at least not in my browser, Safari for mac). If the recipe you created is supposed to pop up in another tab, or something, when pressing "save" or "load recipe", that does not happen in Safari either.

I find the test recipe I just created a bit messy. I don't know if it the recipe is supposed to show up in an own page or what, but mine is in the side menu, which is nice. But a bit messy. It should have been more structured, so that you don't have to look for the right numbers, and not risk messing it up with something else. I mean, from "liquids required" and down to "saturated:unsaturated", all that is in one column with no use of bold letters or anything else to highlight the most crucial. It should have been structured in one way or another to make it very easy to navigate to what you need, without almost reading everything. "liquid required", "Naoh weight" and "koh weight" plus "fragrance oil weight", that is very crucial information and should have been easier to spot. Now you might mess up by measuring out the "lye weight" instead of "Naoh weight" and add the "Koh weight" on top of that for dual lye reciepes, and get lye heavy soap. The important should have been separated out from the unimportant, or what you have to measure out separated from just information about the recipe that you don't have to do anything about. I find it too confusing as it is, to be enough user friendly.

I have not made myself a lye masterbatch, but have been thinking I should make a masterbatch with 95% NaoH and 5% KoH plus the vinegar and the citric acid. So I tested the masterbatch feature in the calculator. Either I have to make my masterbatch in two parts, a NaoH and a KoH masterbatch, or I have to find another way. I want to make a dual lye masterbatch, because that is what I will use and is more convenient to have just one instead of two separate masterbatches. Less to measure out, and less to mess up. If I want to use something else for a soap than dual lye in 95%/5%, I can just measure that out on its own. I would like to see the calculator to have the option for using a dual lye masterbatched lye solution, and where you type in the proportions between NaoH and KoH, or the calculator can just assume it is the same as you did input when choosing dual lye. That would be great for those who want to make a masterbatch with a dual lye solution, or have done it already. Maybe I'm the only one in the world wanting to do that, I don't know, but I don't think so.

Lots of great features in Soapmaking Friend, but it lacks a little finesse and oomp and wow-factor to lift it up where it belongs. As THE one and only, no one over, no one besides. Almost there, but not yet, and it's not a long way to go to get there either. That's how I see it.

SaltedFig likes this.
  7. Mar 26, 2019 #127

Rune

Rune

Rune

Forget what I wrote about the look being a bit messy. I thought I had found every button to press, but today I found the "print" button. And voila! The recipe came out looking really nice :)

xmasdeer likes this.
  8. Mar 26, 2019 #128

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I have to admit I just started using the calc and noticed A couple of changes I would love to see. Two are in the notes section I where I would love the option to single space and be able to change the font size which is just to small for my old eyes. It would be nice to see Sorbitol listed in the additives section

9. Mar 27, 2019 #129

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

Which would you prefer to see- to allow the purity level of NaOH, or to allow a negative superfat? A negative superfat would come with warnings about a lye heavy soap, and you'd be guessing at it, so would you rather have the ability to add your guess at purity level for the NaOH?

How many soapers masterbatch NaOh and KOH I wonder? I haven't heard of that before and it'd be helpful to know if it's commonly done and in what cases. I make mostly hybrid soaps but don't masterbatch the lyes.

Rune likes this.
  10. Mar 27, 2019 #130

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

I would also like a negative superfat because my laundry soap dips down below 0 percent. I haven't made any in a while, so I was not aware that the soap making friend couldn't do that.

11. Mar 27, 2019 #131

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

Great feedback- thank you! I passed it on.

12. Mar 27, 2019 #132

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

I would like to have both :D

Caustic purity
    The purity of the lye is useful to be able to include, so manual adjustments for degraded NaOH are possible, and purchases of a known strength caustic can be entered.

Details
    It would also be handy to have a field to enter the caustic percentage in, with a default to 100%, for both NaOH and KOH, instead of a fixed percentage of 90% for KOH only. This would be handy for caustic that degrades over time (by taking on contaminants such as water and CO2), even if the caustic was purchased as a 99%+ at the start (especially with the increase in the number of people able to calculate their lye purity).

Negative superfat
    I use the ability to enter a negative superfat for a range of reasons.

A couple that I can think of right now are:
    • Making a deliberately lye heavy soap (Andalusian, laundry/cleaning, specialty soaps)
    • Entering a recipe provided by another person/off the internet *see below
    * The danger with not allowing the superfat to go into negative is that a lye heavy recipe provided by another party cannot be fully checked using this calculator
    (If the superfat is restricted to zero or above, the quantum of a negative superfat cannot be determined in a faulty recipe).

Masterbatch KOH and NaOH
    I current masterbatch both of these caustics.

I don't currently masterbatch mine together, but I can envisage that this might be a logical step for someone who has a fixed KOH to NaOH ratio in their soaps.

13. Mar 27, 2019 #133

Rune

Rune

Rune

I found out it is possible to add negative superfat by writing -1 or -2 etc in the superfat field, and not use the controls (since they go only down to 0). I really liked that. @artemis This is how you can do it for your laundry soap, manually set your superfat to negative.

Yes it is guessing using negative superfat instead of being able to set lye purity. I thought I should test my lye for purity (I saw the DeeAnna video on how to do it), but I need a more accurate scale first. But I agree, having the option to set NaOH purity is better than using negative superfat, absolutely.

I have never masterbatched before, just thought I would do it that way with one dual lye masterbatch. But maybe that isn't very clever or any easier. So I might just do what the calculator allows for, making both a NaOH and a KOH masterbatch.

I did formulate a recipe today using Soapmakers Friend. I used negative superfat of -1, and added citric acid and vinegar. The biggest problem I ran into was without doubt the vinegar. I had to convert my vinegar to 5%, and then I could not do a liquid discount without messing everything up. My 30 grams of 35% vinegar became as much as 210 grams of 5%. I did struggle some with the maths until I figured out how to do it.

Another think I could not figure out, was where to find the saved recipes? When I was done, I pressed "save" and then "print". Instead of printing, I saved my recipe as PDF. So far so good. It looks really good as PDF, very easy to understand and not messy. I do like that you can add headings in the notes field, it is really great! I made 5 headings and wrote things under each. For example the vinegar and citric acid ended under the heading "lye additives", clay under "oil additive" and so on. The final recipe looked so nice with the headings, really structured and easy to read (and more difficult to do mistakes). Soapmaking Friend do have some unique features that are fabulous!

I tried to find my saved recipe again, just to see where it were saved. But I could not find it. I did by the way not make the recipe public, because it will only make sense to myself and nobody else. I'm the only one that knows which fat I mean by what is written in the recipe as palm oil, and I'm the only one that knows my lye is not as pure as it should be (but I want to use it up), and had to tweak the recipe accordingly with negative superfat. For strangers, the recipe could make a lye heavy disaster of a soap. So, not made public, no.

artemis likes this.
  14. Mar 28, 2019 #134

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Lots of soapers masterbatch NaOH, some masterbatch KOH. I always mb NaOH, but not as often with the KOH, but will do that one of these days, so that option seems like a really good option. I ALWAYs have to do the calculations myself separate from the lye calculators I use, and it's just one more extra step.

I would like BOTH being able to set a negative SF (I do use that in soap calculators by adding the minus sign before the number and it always works) AND to set the purity level. There are methods for determining purity level of NaOH, one does not need to guess.

15. Mar 28, 2019 #135

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I agree that the default for recipes should be private and not public. One should be able to make a conscious decision to share, but I do believe all online things should put the consumer's need for privacy first (as the default.)

16. Mar 29, 2019 #136

Yooper

Yooper

Yooper

GREAT information here, and so much to consider. Thank you all for your responses. We will definitely take all of that into our next release, and you’ve all brought up some great points.

As far as the save recipes, they are in your profile, if you are logged in. Here is a picture of mine when I log in:
    C6A4F80E-4FAB-4B95-B363-1EB8BD7B75DB.png

Then I click “load recipe” and I see my saved recipes:

2D365201-784D-4C97-9826-3CD910C8C033.png

You can’t find yours?

17. Jul 13, 2019 #137

JillGat

JillGat

JillGat

Sorry to be stupid, but I can't figure out how to save my recipes. When I hit "load", they disappear. I don't see a Save to my recipe option. New Batch? New Recipe? Please help.

Ladka likes this.
  18. Jul 13, 2019 #138

Ladka

Ladka

Ladka

Name your recipe, decide whether you wish it to be seen in public or not, then scroll down until you see "Save" at the right, press it et voila! it is saved.
    You can review it later by pressing "Load recipe" at the top of the page.

19. Jul 18, 2019 #139

JillGat

JillGat

JillGat

ah, I never saw a Save button anywhere. Will look again. Thanks!

Ladka likes this.
  20. Jul 23, 2019 #140

newlee

newlee

newlee

Never new this existed until today. I will compare it to the other soap calc that I use. I like that it has an additive section.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Angie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.