Soapmaking Friend - Part 4

Discussion in 'SoapmakingFriend.com Support Forum' started by Admin, Dec 12, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 24, 2019 #81

buttonsHT

buttonsHT

buttonsHT

Has the registration issue been looked into?

2. Jan 24, 2019 #82

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SoapmakingFriend

SPONSOR

Yes , just now I fixed an issue where activation emails were randomly failing

buttonsHT likes this.
  3. Jan 24, 2019 #83

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

When using the mold capacity option, is the amount of additives supposed to count towards the amount of oils and liquid and also lye?

That's what it's doing now.

I assume no one is going to use more than a few teaspoons total dry additives. They wouldn't make that big a difference in your batch size, right?

And if liquid additives I think there should be a ticker for yes or no, and then only it should count towards batch size.. No?

I'm entirely unsure about this but thought to ask it here since whatever the outcome will be towards refining this calc..

Alanatt likes this.
  4. Jan 31, 2019 #84

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I think I would prefer the Liquids and Lye to be listed above the additives because I tend to measure those out right after my oil and the additives last.

5. Jan 31, 2019 #85

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

Yes, but, I like to measure out my lye and liquids so the solution has time to cool while I measure everything else. I expect that there are so many methods and orders of operation it will be hard to please all of us.

Ladka likes this.
  6. Jan 31, 2019 #86

Ladka

Ladka

Ladka

I'm playing with different recipes and find the calculator very useful, thank you!

7. Feb 2, 2019 #87

LionLady

LionLady

LionLady

Supporting Member

Can you make the "Total Batch Weight" line in bold or highlighted somehow? It's sort of buried in the list.

8. Feb 12, 2019 #88

Lindsey-Star

Lindsey-Star

Lindsey-Star

Creation Addict Supporting Member

Did we lose our total batch weight option or fit to mold options? I don't see them.

9. Feb 12, 2019 #89

Lindsey-Star

Lindsey-Star

Lindsey-Star

Creation Addict Supporting Member

Nevermind, Somehow, I clicked ounces in the wrong spot.

10. Feb 12, 2019 #90

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

I just tried this for the first time yesterday and may i just say

WAY TO GO!!!!! I know that you all have forgotten more than I know about soap and all the ways the various components can affect it - and I feel this tool is helping me learn faster.

Thank you!!!!

11. Feb 14, 2019 #91

LionLady

LionLady

LionLady

Supporting Member

I've got a recipe I'm about to try that uses half and half as the liquid, also have some I'd like to try with goat's milk and other "dairy" products. I see goat milk, but not cow's milk in the custom ingredients list.
    And regarding coconut milk - since it is now available in milk cartons in the cold dairy section of stores, a lot of folks don't realize that coconut milk comes in cans as well. How to specify the canned (thick and creamy version) over the cold dairy replacement option?

Misschief likes this.
  12. Feb 14, 2019 #92

Cathie at Tigercreek

Cathie at Tigercreek

Cathie at Tigercreek

Supporting Member

I use a 48% Masterblend so that I don't chance the lye being saturated. Before I was using 49%, before that 50%. Love that this allows use of a masterblebnd, just I would like to see the masterblend percent on the printed page. Just so I know what % I used if I reuse in a few months. I may have changed my ratio yet again. Otherwise love this calculator!

13. Feb 14, 2019 #93

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

I have a question - if I am following a recipe from a book

201 grams NaOH
    538.7 gms Distilled water
    595.3 gms OO
    454 gms CO
    396.9 gm PO

how do I go about putting that into the calculator, since the author does not talk about lye concentration or ratios?

My guesses are:
    • i could calculate water:lye ratio (538.7:201 or 2.68:1) and plug that in
    • when i did this, the water and lye amounts were different than in the published recipe

• I could calculate liquid as percent oil - but I am not sure if I add the weight of the NaOH to the water to get the subsequent weight?
      • since I am not sure how to do this - i skipped trying it in the calculator

• calculate the lye concentration which i THINK would be weight of water divided by weight of lye multiplied by lye "purity" or (538.7 / 201)*.9 = 33.6%
      • when i did this, the water and lye amounts were different than in the published recipe

beginners are advised to ALWAYS run a recipie through the calculator - so I have been trying to do just that - and running up against a brick wall. Is there a way in the calculator to do this that i have overlooked?

I was hoping to plug this recipe in, and have the calculator tell me what SF% would result, as well as all the other ratios so if I make, i could learn.

Thanks much, and my apologies if I have missed something obvious!

C

14. Feb 14, 2019 #94

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

A few things:
    1. Everyone, not just new soapers, should put a book (or internet recipe) through a calculator. This helps you know you have a safe NaOH amount, since a recipe can have a typo.

2. All calculators are slightly different, so even going from one to another you may have slightly different numbers. They are all still within a safe range. Either the author used a different calculator, or you have discovered a mistake in the recipe.

3. I put in the oils by percentage (this will take a little math) and let the calculator tell me how much liquid and NaOH to use.

4. As for not knowing the superfat, 5% seems to be the most common. That would be my guess.

15. Feb 14, 2019 #95

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

Thank you for that - but I have to put something in for Lye - either ratio to water / concentration / or liquid as percent oil.

Do you have thoughts about that? And can you clarify how I calculate liquids to oil - i.e., is it just water to oils, in this case 538.7 gms water to 1445.3 gms oils or lye mixture to oil?

thank you!

16. Feb 14, 2019 #96

Cal43

Cal43

Cal43

Supporting Member

Is it possible to choose more than one option in oil weight . Ex: ounces and grams

So depending on the type of scale a person has, it can cover all aspects

Clarice likes this.
  17. Feb 14, 2019 #97

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

I use 30% lye concentration

Clarice likes this.
  18. Feb 15, 2019 #98

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

To the creator(s) of this fabulous tool - might it be possible to have an option that would allow a beginner to input a recipe she/he has found from another source into the calculator exactly as it is printed (i.e., likely to only have weights of each element, not percents) and have the calculator tell her/him whether it is within soaping ranges? As a newcomer - I was completely stumped as to how to input the recipe I outlined above once I got to the lye part. The advice to always run a recipe through a calculator is so important - and if the tool made that easy it may lead to learning. I am imagining a readout that says something like: The recipe as input has a lot of water, which could mean......

The calculators are fabulous - and this one is exceptional - and I feel they could better facilitate learning if they had a "diagnose" option.

Am i making sense?

19. Feb 15, 2019 #99

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

I'm not a creator of this calc. But I feel like it already does this.

When you take a recipe like what you have and convert your oil grams to percentages and enter those, you don't have to wonder whether it checks out or not because you will have your answer. I'm not sure how far you got, but after entering your oils and percentages, a chart is generated, which tells you about the "soaping ranges" of various qualities for that recipe.

20. Feb 15, 2019 #100

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

Even without my entering any lye info? COOL - heading back there now! THANKS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.