SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We just launched a huge update that includes the recipe database. So I thought we would start fresh again.

• What is broke?
  • What don't you like?
  • What do we need to add?

marc1

Reaction score
I put in a custom additive. Once saved, it could not be edited. The box would open to edit, but saving it was broken.

marc1

Reaction score
I would also like to be able to edit the SAP values for the oils. I tried making one as a custom additive, and because it's in the additive section, it can't be used as part of the total % of oils in the selected oils part. Maybe have a way to edit the SAP but have a button in the edit area that would revert back to default SAP if you wanted to.

kayak1987

Reaction score
I see that custom additives i.e. salt in the salt bars recipe or goat milk powder only appears in grams or ounces :)

Reaction score
I'm inputting a recipe and I've noticed that the ingredients are sorted alphabetically. I don't mind that but I would prefer to have mine sorted by percentage, from most to least. It would be nice to have that option.
we were sorting them by percentage but some users requested to sort them by user input order .. we plan to make this optional on a future update
Thank you!

Reaction score
I would also like to be able to edit the SAP values for the oils. I tried making one as a custom additive, and because it's in the additive section, it can't be used as part of the total % of oils in the selected oils part. Maybe have a way to edit the SAP but have a button in the edit area that would revert back to default SAP if you wanted to.
we will allow the ability to add your custom oils soon

kayak1987

Reaction score
sorry , what do you mean ?
when you load a recipe, i.e. salt bars, custom ingredients are shown only in one measure unit.
Salt is in Oz only, all the other main ingredients ar shown both in grams and ounces
goat milk in the other recipe is on grams only

Dawni

Reaction score
I don't know if it's doable.. But when you choose the option to add your superfat after the cook there has to maybe be an option that allows you to choose a particular oil or if you want all of it.

For example if I'm making soap with beeswax, it calculates the superfat including it, which means it subtracts from the main cooking oils total. But I don't want beeswax as superfat, I want it saponified completely. I want only the sweet almond for example.

Is there a way?

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about the oils in the order of amount used. It really helps when making the soap!

KimT2au

You bet they die
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just input a recipe using oil weight rather than percentage and found that when the total weight of the oils goes to 1,000gm or more you cannot see the last digit in the total as the box is not big enough.

Can I repeat my plea to please, please, please let us have the ingredients in the recipe in order of size rather than alpha order.

Kim

emi

Reaction score
I've had 2 issues, the 2nd which has led me to leave this calc for now.

#1 I'm having a lot of trouble with the saving function. I lost a lot of info after I saved and updated several recipes with detailed memos. The title and recipe would be there but the additives and memos were all missing on a few of my recipes. Image saving is really not working either. After a I drag a jpeg into the area, a little check mark floats up indicating it has been uploaded and below image remains. I click update and open another recipe. But I noticed that anytime I save a pic on any recipe, if I go to any and every other saved recipe, the same pic will be there. Meaning whatever pic I upload last into whatever recipe, that pic and that pic alone will show up on all my recipes. Plus that gray bar obstructs the small image of it and when I try to open that pic to see it fully it won't do anything.
Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 5.09.28 AM.png

#2 After several hours of tinkering around with numbers and calculators of various types and intensely doubting myself, I realized that the calculator discounts the water amount if you put any additive as added "with liquid". Even oatmeal. That can't be right. Powdery dry colloidal oatmeal does not replace water. It did so with salt addition which I didn't realize until I was mid-way through making my first brine soap and my salt wouldn't dissolve because my water was so discounted it didn't have enough water to fully dissolve in. I did some calculations and fixed it. I was worried though that I used too much salt requiring that extra water. I thought maybe if salt is added to lye water, water is supposed to be discounted and I just didn't know that, but I'm severely doubting it after seeing that adding oatmeal discounted water too.

I'm really glad this calc is being put together, but I'm too much of a newbie to be dealing with this and getting so confused and wasting hours and hours due to my ignorance of knowing how it's supposed to be. I'm gonna go back to soapcalc until everything's worked out by the experts.

Dawni

Reaction score
I had a question regarding the salt as well. What I do for now is use the original amount of water called for and just write my salt amount in the notes. Until the proper amounts are updated in the calc..

Status
Not open for further replies.