Soapmaking Friend Bug Issues / New Feature Requests - August 2019

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

group7access

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feature: Notification that changes will be lost to a Recipe being edited, if trying to leave the web page

Given I have made changes to a recipe after clicking Edit
When I try to leave the page (or close the browser) before Saving the changes
Then I am presented with the option to continue leaving (changes will be lost) or stay on the page and continue editing.

SeRae

Reaction score
I'm just using it again after a couple of months. There is one issue that I still see. Whenever I save a recipe then open it back up, the numbers for the ounces (under selected oils) are missing. The percentages are still there but the ounces do not load so I have to re-enter the percentages to see the ounces again. The column to the left with all the ingredients and measurements are still there. I attached a screenshot for reference. Thank you!! I'll continue to add updates as I start using it more.

Attachments

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I open and print a saved test recipe from the first screen, the single custom additive does not appear in a “custom additive” list. If I open the same recipe, select edit for the editing screen and then select print from that screen, the additive shows up in the custom additive list. I am using an iPad in case that makes a difference.

Printed without being in edit mode:

4A8BC86F-1AEF-4E15-BC27-539255547BE3.png

Printed from the edit screen:

8268B2A4-6AFE-4D7F-AD9F-072339B41BE9.png

SeRae

Reaction score
I've been playing with SMF tonight and this issue came up.

I'm using the dimensions feature to determine the amount of oils I need for my mold. My dimensions in inches are (LxWxH) 12 x 5.5 x 3.5. I am able to type in my dimensions and it says that I need 90oz of oils, which sounds about right. However, if I use the up/down arrows to change any of these numbers, the total amount of oils jumps enormously. For example, changing the 12 to 11.999, the oil's total jumped to 346.794. Screenshots added for reference. Thank you!

Edit: Total amt of oils also changes when switching from ounces to grams to pounds...90oz should be about 5.6 lbs of oils, however, when switching from ounces to pounds, I get 18.

P.S. A "recipe comparison" feature would be nice, where you could look at the recipe properties, oils, etc...side by side. May 2-3 at a time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vaibhav Jain

Reaction score
First of all .... this is really a great feature...awesome :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

2 observations till now:
1. there should be option to submit new product name . like, aloe vera gel, rose petals powder, lemon peel powder etc.
2. add tax amount column next to price per container (for bulk purchases) where price and tax amount are given separately by supplier
upload_2019-8-23_9-55-4.png

Yooper

Reaction score
Yooper, are you one of the developers? How many are in the team?
No, I'm not a developer at all! I'm just helping out with it. I've been making soap and bath & body products for years, and have helped with some of the feature ideas.
There is a developer and an owner- that's about it! :)

group7access

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My comment/question is about adding custom additives. When I select "Add new" custom additive (e.g., "Ground Cinnamon" is what I have added), I am presented with the option of "Suggested Value" where I have configured to be 1 Teaspoon Per 1 Pound Of Oils. I then "Save Additive". However, when I am creating a recipe and select "Ground Cinnamon", it was my expectation that it would calculate how many teaspoons of my ground cinnamon I need to add based upon my recipes total ounce amount, e.g., 288 oz /16 = 18 pounds, so somewhere on in the recipe it would show me that I need to add 18 teaspoons.

If Soapmaking Friend is not currently supposed to do this, then this would be a feature suggestion. If it IS supposed to show/calculate this for me, it appears to be broken. Cheers!

Carolyne Thrasher

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tinkered with it before my kids got out of school for the summer but haven’t had a chance to get back on. From what I saw I really liked it. Does it have a feature where you can create a saponification value for a soap “base?” For example if I use rice bran coconut and palm as my starting point for every recipe and then depending on the soap I’m making or supplies I have on hand I may use kokum one time and Shea another or castor or.. you get the point. I’m looking for the best way to masterbatch my “base” oils. The calculator may do this but I’m not remembering off the top of my head.

soapjoy

Reaction score
I wanted to close the other thread and get everyone's feedback on two topics:

1. What is still broken or not working as you want at Soapmaking Friend?
  2. What features are missing or need more work at Soapmaking Friend?
I wanted to close the other thread and get everyone's feedback on two topics:

1. What is still broken or not working as you want at Soapmaking Friend?
  2. What features are missing or need more work at Soapmaking Friend?
Haven’t tried it yet.

Carrie

Reaction score
just looked at it! i really like it! i will have to try it out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.