Soapmakers on Youtube

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've mentioned this before but I was floored to see this one guy's video. He was dressed in a t-shirt and shorts throughout his soaping session. He repeatedly emphasized the importance of wearing safety goggles and gloves -- while he was barefaced and barehanded the entire time! :eek: Dude!
Do as I say not as I do apparently 😂

I try to use all the protective gear' long sleeves & plastic pitcher to mix lye. Glass does etch' after some time if you look real close youll see little lines in the glass' at least my trusted glass measuring cup started showing signs of ware & I could just imange that glass shattering & Lye going everywhere' so I switched to dollar store lye pitcher's & for most of my soap supplies. 💫👍🏼🧼. Agree w/ ya'll if your training or giving a demonstration on DIY Soaping it should be the correct method.

I can attest - when Pyrex shatters because of heat - It is razor sharp!. I put an empty measuring cup on my glass top stove once, and didn't check that the burned had been on. When I lifted it by the handle, it shattered instantly. Fortunately it all stayed on the stovetop, but, each piece behaved differently than I expected. I could not pick up larger pieces; they were both sharp and had a weird, rough texture. Nothing like the squares of safety glass. Even trying to clean the shards up with paper towel was difficult.
If you have a stress point in the glass, there is nothing you can do to stop that train wreck. Think lye, raw soap batter rivers. Do you have enough neutralizing solution?
For that same reason, I never used Erlenmeyer flasks or beakers for soap making, even though I used to have access to them. They are thinner than the pryex measuring cups, and when they break, have a different quality in the shards, but, a nick or stress point is still an accident waiting to happen.

I didn't know that we shouldn't use glass for the lye solution or the soap batter. Can someone please tell me why?
This is why.
1636251637162.png
1636251873584.png
1636251970965.png

Back