Soapmakerman: "High Top" Molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEASoapWorks

Reaction score
Paul,

Ever thought about making molds, with tops that will clear the more elaborate frosted tops? I'm havin' trouble with my high (not even that high) tops gettin' smashed by my TOG lid. I guess I could just use Saran Wrap to cover the top, but I like the tightness of your lids.

I wanna do some more dramatic sculpted tops, but I want to cover the mold. Maybe I can pour not so high? My batter usually goes almost to the end of the liner. Is that too high?

I usually leave the liner down about 1/4 inch below the top of the sides since during saponification, the batter will heat up and raise before colling and shrinking back. On the single log molds, the inside total height is 2-3/4 inches, and I cut the liner 2-1/2 inches high. To get a higher side, I would have to use a 5-1/2 inch board instead of a 3-1/2 inch. That would add about $5.00 to $7.00 to a TOG 10" Mold like you have. The liner would have to be cut higher also. I use standard 3-1/2" lumber and there is no waste or added sawing to a shorter size like I would have to with a 5-1/2" board.....

I'll keep on thinking on it though....

Paul

Hi there! :)

I'm new to this forum, but I'm no stranger to Paul's TOG molds. I have two and love them.

Anyway, I found that I can use Paul's TOG lids and still get nice textured tops.

I don't know if all of Paul's lids are constructed the same way, but mine are constructed in such a way that I figured out how to prop each corner of the lid up off my soap while yet having my soap mold still completely covered by the lid (this is with his log/slab combination mold). I don't know if Paul purposely designed it this way or not, but I found that I can place 4 round, screw-top covers taken from off of 4 little, half ounce sample perfume/lip balm tubs that I have- placing one cover on top of each corner edge of the mold- and then resting the TOG lid right on top of the perfume/lip balm covers. The propped Tog cover still completely covers the mold on all sides thanks to its design with the long sides of the lid coming down, and the perfume/lip balm covers fit so perfectly in the corners between the mold and the lid that they block any cold air from getting in. It works great. I still get complete gel, and my tops remain nicely textured. HTH! :)

IrishLass

IrishLass,

Thanks so much, girl! I will try that, cuz I love my TOG! I've got two (2) more coming, and I can't WAIT!!!!!

IrishLass said:
Hi there! :)

I'm new to this forum, but I'm no stranger to Paul's TOG molds. I have two and love them.

Anyway, I found that I can use Paul's TOG lids and still get nice textured tops.

I don't know if all of Paul's lids are constructed the same way, but mine are constructed in such a way that I figured out how to prop each corner of the lid up off my soap while yet having my soap mold still completely covered by the lid (this is with his log/slab combination mold). I don't know if Paul purposely designed it this way or not, but I found that I can place 4 round, screw-top covers taken from off of 4 little, half ounce sample perfume/lip balm tubs that I have- placing one cover on top of each corner edge of the mold- and then resting the TOG lid right on top of the perfume/lip balm covers. The propped Tog cover still completely covers the mold on all sides thanks to its design with the long sides of the lid coming down, and the perfume/lip balm covers fit so perfectly in the corners between the mold and the lid that they block any cold air from getting in. It works great. I still get complete gel, and my tops remain nicely textured. HTH! :)

IrishLass

Could you possible post a picture of that. I have a hard time visualizing things that I don't know what they are. KWIM? Thanks

Cool, thanks Irish Lass! Yes, I still design my lids like yours! I would like to see pics too. Been off line as we were out out of electricity yesterday afternoon for about 8 hours.

Paul

Back