Soaping101 Clear MP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffamarie

Reaction score
So I've just watched the new Soaping101 video about making your own clear MP soap, and in it she states that she heats her distilled water prior to adding the NaOH...is this necessary for the kind of soap she's making??? It seems too dangerous to me, and she points out how the hot lye solution begins to boil rather vigorously. My lye solution almost always makes it up to the upper 100s Fahrenheit which is above the 150 threshold she spoke about the ingredients needing to reach.

She did say that it helped the lye solution to remain clear instead of going cloudy first, but I feel like mine typically clears up decently quickly while still remaining hot. Can anyone provide a little clarification?? Thanks in advance! If I decide to try this out, I just want to keep myself safe. :)

I wish I could watch that video with closed captioning turned on, but it is disabled, so I don't know what she is saying. My husband is in the room, so I can't watch videos with sound right now and I hate using earbuds if I don't have to. After he goes to bed I may get back to it.

But I have not tried heated water for making my lye solution. It sure seems as if it's an unnecessary step. But she does have a pretty nice soap lab set-up with plenty of room and good ventilation, so maybe it works out pretty well for her situation in spite of all those lye fumes. In my own kitchen, I wouldn't want to do that, however. I'd just wait for it to get clear. I don't think her method would save any time really.

She states that for the recipe to work all ingredients need to be between 150*F to 215*F. One way to find out is to try the recipe without heating the water.

Wow, she responded to my request to turn on the CC so fast! That is so fabulous! I am watching the video now.

I like this video. I want to try her recipe and see how it works. She makes it look so easy.

Last edited:
So.... Has anyone tried it yet?? I don't want to be the first! :p

I might try it... I’m always looking for something new to try and gave clear a go last year and it wasn’t fun but who knows now.

Latest posts

Back