Soaping trigger a migraine?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Dent

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had soap making trigger a migraine headache? My wife observed while I made some sample batches over the weekend, and yesterday afternoon / last night she had one of the worst migraines she has ever had. She is still recovering.
This was the first time she had been present while I made soap, and the first time ever that I used any scent. I had the fume hood over the stove (where I do all mixing) running the entire time. She was not involved in the process and stood well away, but she did help me clean up when the fo ate through the plastic cup I had weighed it in. I'm sure she probably got some on her hands, and we sure smelled it the rest of the weekend. She has migraines very infrequently, fortunately as she has BAD ones, and we have never been able to identify any of her triggers. I have them much more frequently, though not as severe as hers, and I haven't had any problems with soaping, though I know that migraine triggers are very individualistic.
Just thought I would ask.

I get very bad migraines when I use lemongrass EO. It was most likely the scent, which did you use? You might want to keep list of which scents cause migraines so you can avoid them.

Your poor wife, I hope she starts to feel better soon!

I have gotten the occassional headache while soaping and I'm pretty sure mine are caused by certain FO's. It really sucks when you buy a bottle of FO, use it, get a headache, and then realize that you have to make more batches to use up the rest of the bottle or just scrap it entirely which is such a waste.

Some fragrances give me my very seldom migraines. I avoid EOs to avoid this issue. But this is me, and migraines have many, many different potential triggers. Even combinations of things that previously did not trigger migraines can trigger them.

Oh yes.. big time migraine person here and I'm very sensitive to fragrances.
Funny Obsidian mentioned lemongrass because thats the one one that gives me the fastest headache.. just opening the bottle can cause it and if I work with it I get a full on migraine. I don't even have it in my EO arsenal anymore and won't work with it.
Lavender can also be problematic for me but since it's not a potent one out of the bottle so I'm ok if I move fast.
Other fragrances can also cause problems but it's sort of random. Overall I'm sensitive to scents and noise so too many of either can cause me issue and I'm diving for my Maxalt. I go through them a lot.. I have 4 young kids.. noise!! LOL

Patchouli and most other EO's I just can't handle outside of the mints.. gotta limit time around the rest.

I used to have a Plumeria that gave me instant full blown migraines. Unfortunately it was one of my best sellers and still is but I finally found a much nicer more realistic Plumeria that does not cause migraines. My daughter whom is epileptic can only use sweet food type scents.

I do get headaches with some FOs as well. Sometimes I even wake up with a sore throat after soaping. I've found what helps is having good ventilation and I usually take the dogs for a walk if the FO is particularly strong. I get some nice fresh air and that usually does the trick. I leave the windows open and fans on while I'm gone and the AC off so that the apartment can air out!

Lavender and Lilac set me off. I get instant headaches. I don't suffer migraines except once in a blue moon. I hate working with those but they are excellent sellers so I suffer through it.

I have been thinking about this some more. The fo we used was the FB Sun and Earth. But, it was Saturday evening that we did that batch, and the migraine didn't start util Sunday afternoon about 3pm. I'm not sure if there could be a delayed reaction like that, aren't most migraine triggers usually pretty fast? Just trying to consider all the possibilities.

Depends.. like chocolate is another trigger for me but it can take a while to hit me if it's just a little I have. Sensory triggers are usually quicker and mine start with an annoying ache that turns worse.
If I'm in my workshop and doing too many scents and feel something coming on, I have a little bag with beads in a ziploc that are scented with peppermint. It's kinda like my coffee beans you could say.. it helps to bring me back to homeostasis. :) Otherwise in 30 min. to a few hours, I'm in major headache or migraine mode.
Did she feel anything at all that she recalls before Sunday afternoon? Very likely it was something else that gave it to her and not the soap unless she complained or has something she recalls that bothered her when soaping.

I have made appropriate notes in my soaping binder, so if this ever happens again I'll be able to compare. Hopefully it was just a coincidence.
Thanks to all for the discussion, much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back