Soaping temperature

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauratryingsoap

Reaction score
Hi I've been struggling to find much information about how the room temperature you are soaping at influences your cp soap. I work at around 100F and my recipe is 30% OO, 30% CO, 30% palm, 10% castor, 6% superfat, 33% lye concentration. My room temperature is super cold (its start of spring here and i soap at my garage at night so super cold). I ffind my soap will thicken super quickly so i'm not sure how to slow trace more without changing my recipe

Hi I've been struggling to find much information about how the room temperature you are soaping at influences your cp soap. I work at around 100F and my recipe is 30% OO, 30% CO, 30% palm, 10% castor, 6% superfat, 33% lye concentration. My room temperature is super cold (its start of spring here and i soap at my garage at night so super cold). I ffind my soap will thicken super quickly so i'm not sure how to slow trace more without changing my recipe
I had that problem a lot when I started soaping - unfortunately I can't help with your problem as specified since the only solution I found was to change the recipe...
Soaping hotter didn't help because it traced faster, but when it was too cool it would harden up suddenly as if seizing, but I could tell by the pattern of solidifying that it was due to the low temperature.
When I got to a mix of oils that was at least slightly liquid at room temperature that was the turning point.

What is happening is that the ambient temp is sucking all the heat from your oils and they are re-solidifying. I suggest taking your oils and lye up to 120F or getting a heater for your garage to bring the temp up to at least 65F-70F or making soap in the kitchen when the temps drop.

Latest posts

Back