Soaping temperature using wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambi

Reaction score
To those who use wax (beeswax, soywax, etc) in cp soaps, on what temp do you soap? I normally soap at room temp but I'm afraid the wax will go brittle if I wait til it cools down.

You have to soap warm enough to keep the wax melted. Beeswax melt point is about 145 so I would melt it with your hard oils until just melted (probably won't be that hot. I've only used it a couple times and just melted with my hard oils/butters together. Once melted I added my warmed liquid oils and I finished making my soap. You cannot soap at RT with beeswax.

Just tried it. I soaped warmer than usual. It accelerated a bit faster than usual too at 5%. Pretty sure can't do intricate design when using it

I use beeswax at 1% in a lot of my soap. We are beekeepers so beeswax or honey in soap is the link in our business. I melt the beeswax first then add cocoa butter. When it is all melted I add coconut oil. After that I turn the heat off and let the heat melt other butters I might add. Then I add my soft oils - mainly olive - which is usually over 50% of the recipe. I let it all cool to room temp and it does thicken. I add my room temp lye and it all becomes quite fluid. I need to work reasonably quickly with floral EOs but I usually have time to play. Hope this helps.

I use beeswax at 1% in a lot of my soap. We are beekeepers so beeswax or honey in soap is the link in our business. I melt the beeswax first then add cocoa butter. When it is all melted I add coconut oil. After that I turn the heat off and let the heat melt other butters I might add. Then I add my soft oils - mainly olive - which is usually over 50% of the recipe. I let it all cool to room temp and it does thicken. I add my room temp lye and it all becomes quite fluid. I need to work reasonably quickly with floral EOs but I usually have time to play. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely try it soon. Is 1% enough to make the soap lasts longer? I use butters but I don't use palm/lard/tallow.

Back