Soaping Safety/Near Miss

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say that I hope everyone is keeping safe while soaping. I just ended up throwing most of a big bowl of soap batter up into the air somehow, it slipped sideways, I tried to grab it, and it went over everything, including all down my front, a splash on my goggles (somehow miraculously missed the rest of my face.) Serendipitously I was wearing a big coat b/c I had just come in from walking the dogs, if I had had my regular long sleeved t-shirt on I think I might have actually gotten soaked with active lye batter, there was so much.

I was able to take stuff off very quickly so that nothing got through to skin, but it could have been dangerous if I was not wearing gloves, goggles, fully covered up. Most of you are probably not as klutzy as me, but just wanted to give thanks and a heads up, I am still a bit shaken. Also tired, it took forever to clean everything up.

Aside, how do those of you who live w/others do it? I can't imagine living w/another soaper, my own mess/detritus is starting to drive me crazy even though I usually clean up pretty quickly, I can't imagine a roommate/family tolerating it. Even the dogs are starting to look at me sideways :)

Thank goodness you're okay. It's always good to have a reminder that we should stay on our guard and not become complacent with safety.

I soap in my kitchen and banish the family and pets... It's pretty easy to do unless I soap around lunchtime. My kids are young adults/teenagers so they are happy to be anywhere else so long as they didn't leave their phone on the counter and have recently fed and watered. I consider myself a bit of a zookeeper where they are concerned. ;)

Thank the Lord all is well, although I do hope it did not go down your cabinets. I find buckets so much safer to soap in versus bowls. It is very easy to tip over a bowl since they taper to the bottom whereas a nice hdpe bucket will be the same diameter on bottom as top. McMaster Carr carries some nice buckets. They have a 1/2 + gallon sizes in the non-compliant section or 1 gallon + buckets under the plastic pail section. I have soaped as little as 32 oz oils in the gallon buckets

Thank goodness you're alright! Yeah, I had a caustic soapy mess last night myself. Today I'm not seeing any burns on my skin where I KNOW soap batter hit me. My clean up was a rush to get the major stuff done before my cat could investigate--she does not take well to me closing her away and will destroy the carpet and molding around doors in her attempts to get out. Usually it's not a problem--I live with adults that tend to be very careful when they see me soaping, and my cat normally does not come anywhere near when I'm soaping, it's like she has a sixth sense to danger. :)

Thanks for the good thoughts, you guys. It was scary. I just do the safety routine automatically because I *know* that I am clumsy, but at times like that it makes you realize that it is really, really important. Carolyn, those buckets are a great idea. I was trying to cut down on getting any more soap stuff, it is taking over my little 1BR apt, but those sound genius for someone like me. Flyby, my first thought was about the dogs, they usually stay away when I am soaping to - more for fear of being stepped on/tripped over in my small kitchen - but I was really paranoid that they might lick the floor and ingest some lye. The kitchen is now cleaner than it has been in months, if somewhat vinegar-y smelling :)

Thank goodness you are ok! It's a good thing you gear up so well.

My heart almost stopped when I knocked over a bowl of soap batter. Once I realized that I hadn't gotten any on me I was able to unfreeze and went into a cleaning frenzy. I have become really paranoid about spilling my lye water so now I use an HPDE bucket and put that inside a bigger HDPE bucket just in case.

My husband thought my precautions were overkill until I got soap batter under my nails once (picked up a soapy paper towel without gloves on). He understood when I showed him my bloody and raw fingers.

OMG I'm glad you're OK! Note to myself to cover up better, I started slacking off a bit. I still wear goggles and gloves but often forget apron.
I usually soap in early evening when everyone is lazying around in the living room and cat is well feed so that he's not around my legs.
Few months ago I was soaping in spaghetti strap shirt (smart right?) and somehow managed to get lye itch and burns all over my right arm, from shoulder to the wrist. I had a shower immediately but it was red and blistery for aquite a few hours. I couldn't really figure out what I've done, I'm usually super careful.
I realised later on that it was me spraying detergent spray on soapy dishes while washing them. Fumes would pick up particles of batter and shoot back all over my arm. I started doing it only recently I as I've realised it helps with greasy dishes.
I learnt the lesson and I'm back to scrubbing again. ;)

Back