soaping now, question!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soapers, I am waiting for my lye liquid and oils to cool down. My question to you all is, is my lye liquid okay? I dissolved sugar in distilled water, then added lye. It is a very light yellow, like really weak lemonade. It's only the 2nd time I've used sugar. Is it okay? Should I start over?
20210626_160255.jpg
20210626_160304.jpg

Attachments

• attachments (35).zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 7
You need to dissolve the sugar fully in the distilled water before adding the lye. Usually about 1 tsp per 500 gms of soap. Make sure you stir well after adding the lye too - otherwise you could end up with a hard layer of toffee on the bottom of your lye solution. Be careful because it will heat up quicker than plain water.

Last edited:
My question to you all is, is my lye liquid okay?
Alkaline solution accelerates caramelisation, to a point where it can start browning at room temperature. It is expected that just about any sugar might yellow. Fresh, highly purified cane/beet sugar shouldn't be very prone, but small amounts of glucose/fructose (the natural decomposition products of sucrose) can already cause discolouration.
Nothing to worry about – except in case the colour interferes with ambitions for a maximally pale soap.

When in doubt, sugar alcohols (read: sorbitol) work at least as good as lather boosters, and don't discolour in the alkaline at all.

Btw, your lye is not okay. The crossed bones are missing under the skull ☠. Seriously, the “toxic” pictogram isn't the accurate warning sign, since lye is not toxic, but corrosive. But being overly drastic in deterring uninvolved/careless/distracted flatmates, outweighs toxicological nitpicking in any case. I'm always happy when I see people in YouTube videos, here, or elsewhere, to take chemical burn precautions seriously.

I add a top of sugar to my water before adding lye and it always goes that colour. Its the sugar caramelising. It doesn't seem to affect the end product as far as I can tell.

What would be really funny is if one of them decided to be a hmmmmm....I'll use the term from over the pond here.... cheeky monkey and wrote "TRUTH!" at the bottom (get it?)... or "NO LYE!".....yeah - be glad I never baby sat for you. 🤣 🤣

My main thing was warning my two very smart but often clueless teenagers from unintentional chaos and destruction.

I can't draw so I just wrote "Danger!!! Danger!!! Drinking this will kill you!!" all over my gallon jug. Which reminds me...it's empty. Daughter used the last of my Lye Solution for the kitchen drain.

Last edited:
Back