soaping now, question!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would probably put an obscene amount of time into the most bloodthirsty possible depiction of the dissolving hand, and totally lose proportionality over this.
Seriously, as self-explanatory this pictogram is, as little iconic value it has. Unless you already know what it represents, it is hardly of any (deterrent) use.

I would probably put an obscene amount of time into the most bloodthirsty possible depiction of the dissolving hand, and totally lose proportionality over this.
Seriously, as self-explanatory this pictogram is, as little iconic value it has. Unless you already know what it represents, it is hardly of any (deterrent) use.
I don't know about that - I remember being mesmerised by that symbol when I was quite young, although I don't know what I saw it on. It was quite clear to me that it was a liquid that would make holes in your hand (sideways on, no less 😱 ) and to my impressionable mind and vivid imagination no further warning was needed!

Edit: @Zing, my sincerest apologies for continuing what I've just realised is a significant detour from your topic...

You need to dissolve the sugar fully in the distilled water before adding the lye. Usually about 1 tsp per 500 gms of soap. Make sure you stir well after adding the lye too - otherwise you could end up with a hard layer of toffee on the bottom of your lye solution. Be careful because it will heat up quicker than plain water.

@KiwiMoose If I'm adding sugar or sorbitol to my liquid soap to boost the lather, do I always have to add it at the lye/water stage? Or, can I add it at dilution?

I am adding a preservative to my soap because I also add aloe vera juice and chamomile extract at dilution and I don't want that to make it easier for microbes to grow. If I add sugar or sorbitol at dilution with my dilution water, will it still have the same lathering boosting qualities? Thanks!

That “sugar/sorbitol-in-first” is advice for bar soap, where you can't add it later on for obvious reasons. For liquid soap, you can add it as late as you want (dilution/bottling). Just make sure it's all dissolved (best to add it as syrup pre-dissolved in some water).
I personally can't tell if it'll have the same bubbly benefits, my favourite trick is using foamer bottles.

BTW, feel free for such questions to open a new thread (in the “Liquid Soap & Cream Soap” subforum), so that the LS folks see your queries easier, and it's not a matter of luck to get an answer! 😉

That “sugar/sorbitol-in-first” is advice for bar soap, where you can't add it later on for obvious reasons. For liquid soap, you can add it as late as you want (dilution/bottling). Just make sure it's all dissolved (best to add it as syrup pre-dissolved in some water).
I personally can't tell if it'll have the same bubbly benefits, my favourite trick is using foamer bottles.

BTW, feel free for such questions to open a new thread (in the “Liquid Soap & Cream Soap” subforum), so that the LS folks see your queries easier, and it's not a matter of luck to get an answer! 😉
Thanks @ResolvableOwl - I was gonna ask what dilution was....

Ahh, okay I see. I just started making soap this week and I started with making liquid soap so I'm only on my fifth batch and I'm trying to make this perfect as quickly as possible. They're going well and have turned out clear (except when I tried Failor's method of thickening with borax, I don't know what I did wrong there so I'll just stick to salt) but now it's just a matter of making it have all the qualities I want. So thank you for your response and for your tip about how this platform works, I'll definitely open a new thread next time!

Ahh, okay I see. I just started making soap this week and I started with making liquid soap so I'm only on my fifth batch and I'm trying to make this perfect as quickly as possible. They're going well and have turned out clear (except when I tried Failor's method of thickening with borax, I don't know what I did wrong there so I'll just stick to salt) but now it's just a matter of making it have all the qualities I want. So thank you for your response and for your tip about how this platform works, I'll definitely open a new thread next time!
Have you read Irish Lass’s advice on liquid soap? It is fabulous.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soaping-101-liquid-soapmaking-video.46114/

...I am adding a preservative to my soap because I also add aloe vera juice and chamomile extract at dilution and I don't want that to make it easier for microbes to grow....

By adding sources of food (the aloe and chamomile extract) at dilution, you are making it a LOT easier for microbes to grow. A preservative doesn't have any chance of working well in this situation. It is vital to dilute with water ONLY.

Preservatives are effective when makers minimize the amount of food available in the product, use sanitary manufacturing processes, package the product in containers that limit contamination by the user, AND use a tested, broad spectrum preservative. You can't ignore any of this and still expect success.

Another issue is most beginners who want to use preservative in liquid soap don't research the types of preservatives that are effective at the high pH of liquid soap. There are only a few that can tolerate this.

By adding sources of food (the aloe and chamomile extract) at dilution, you are making it a LOT easier for microbes to grow. A preservative doesn't have any chance of working well in this situation. It is vital to dilute with water ONLY.

Preservatives are effective when makers minimize the amount of food available in the product, use sanitary manufacturing processes, package the product in containers that limit contamination by the user, AND use a tested, broad spectrum preservative. You can't ignore any of this and still expect success.

Another issue is most beginners who want to use preservative in liquid soap don't research the types of preservatives that are effective at the high pH of liquid soap. There are only a few that can tolerate this.

Thank you so much for this information. I will dilute with water. I was going to use optiphen plus but I decided to switch to liquid germall plus because of the pH thing. I saw it was one of the ones on your forum and some other sources recommended it, too.

Last edited:
@ResolvableOwl I added the word corrosive to my lye bottle 😜 2540D7C8-8E3D-40B7-8ABE-BB205830C43D.jpeg

I typically create my simple syrup and keep it separate from my lye solution. I "masterbatch" everything, including my simple syrup/aloe/EDTA mixture. So, I have SS/A/EDTA in one container, lye solution in another, and oils in their own. Then I only have to measure out the appropriate amounts to soap quickly.

Back