Soaping in the media

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy_owl

Reaction score
Sorry, mods, if this thread is invalid, but I think it goes to the perception of soapmaking, its process and its safety among the general public. And those are things we should protect and defend.

There's Fight Club—burning yourself with lye is badazz!—Orange Is the New Black, which, look, I get that Piper has bigger problems now that she's in prison but doesn't she miss soaping one tiny bit? The girl had her stuff in Barney's, for crying out loud.

And my biggest current seeing-red moment, Orphan Black. I think Bubbles is an adorable fictional shop and I even stole a design idea from it, but did anyone else see Helena dancing around, randomly throwing powders and whatevers into a giant pot with her hair all over the place, and stirring with a wooden spoon? I almost put a fist through my screen. Not cool, writers, not cool.

Anyway, have any of you seen soapmaking in popular culture and do you think it is portrayed accurately? Should we do more to rectify inaccuracies?

There's an ad on TV right now, I can't remember what it's for, but it's a bunch of handmade items, and it starts off with the narrator saying....."Flower pressed soap", and it show's a pic of what looks like a commercial soap to me, anyway, then goes on to "artisan pickles" or something like that. What the heck is "flower pressed soap"??? Don't they have people who research these things before they go on the air?

OMG, this is moronic. Thanks, navigator! [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNvIQJz1674[/ame]

Yeah, it is so bad that when "medical scenes" come on, either I have to leave the room, or whoever else is trying to watch gets mad at me. I tend to tell them all the wrong things in the room, and whatever else is going on that is impossible.

Back