Soaping in a dirty house

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure where this category falls - so stuck it here.

I was counting on the next 2 weeks (completely kid-less) to make a ton of soap and possibly other things to be able to sell. But the other day I heard this funny running water sound coming from the recreation room. Sewage water.

Luckily the flood team has been beyond awesome - they are cutting no corners and seeing to every tiny detail. A final check today and they declared that they're not 110% certain there isn't moisture left....so they're removing even more stuff. The rec room, bathroom, laundry room, furnace room, family room....floors, walls, cabinets....going

After the tear out, I anticipate a couple of weeks before the rebuild since things have to be ordered.

No way I'm making product to sell that's going to be exposed to the dust and such that's going to be raised from the demo. There will be bio cleaning this weekend. When do you think it would be appropriate to start making soap again?

Do you have an air scrubber going? And a dehumidifier?

If you have those going maybe you can get a batch in after a week. Maybe? How close is your soaping space to the construction?

There's 3 big, noisy, hot dryer type machines running and I can see filters inside them; don't know what they're called.

Tomorrow they rip out more flooring, then do something called bio-washing.

I wanted to fill a few lotion bottles, but I'm really leery of what might be floating through the air.

I too would wait till everything is completely done. Once everything is back together there will still be a load of dust.
You will feel much better once everything is complete and contaminant free

Sorry for your troubles Lenarenee. Hang in there. I think you’ll know when it’s back together enough to dive back in. Hopefully that’s sooner than later!

Maybe you could rent the kitchen in your church or the firehouse for a day? I have no idea how much they'd charge and you'd have to be committed to making a lot in a short period of time.

This is a marvelous idea! Possibly agree to make an extra batch for the guys at the firehouse in exchange for the use of their kitchen? Or agree to give the church a certain % of sales from the products made in their kitchen. It would be a hassle dragging all your supplies from the house to another location, but so well worth it, especially if you really want to get several batches made in a day.

Latest posts

Back