Soaping equipment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do clump up if you are using a thicker batter, but it is impossible for me to get the batter into those thin divider sections without making a huge - as opposed to acceptable - mess if I don't use them, I am too clumsy. For me it is better to use a thinner trace (to avoid clumping) and then wait for a bit for the batter to set up before I remove the dividers and swirl if I have poured too thin. Like I said, though, I really am clumsy.

Last edited:
I soap at room temp, using the lye water to melt my hard oils. I never make batches more than 32oz oils. Here's what I use:
A good scale
A good stick blender. I think I went through 3 Procter Silax before I bought a Hamilton Beach. Twice the price but worth it.
I use this bowl from Dollar Tree http://www.dollartree.com/household...t-/500c526c529p185884/index.pro?method=search
Those are the flimsy ones I was mentioning. Sorry Amd they are not good for 5# or above batches. I tried one once and almost spilled the oil out of the bowl even before it went into the micro. Just not worth the risk for a dollar. You risk a 100k, (hospital bills) burn if hot oil spills or batter spills. Use a flat bottom 1 gallon bucket which are also no problem to pour out of

Last edited:
I've had those tip/up-end too, amd, and once ended up w/a good part of my batter over the front of my coat (it was cold that day, thank goodness, otherwise it might have been a thin t-shirt). For a klutz like me it is better to use a bucket type container, where the base is as wide as the rest. I'm sure I will find a way to spill even that, some day, but it does seem to be the least-spillable option.

Last edited:
the only things i can think of that havent already been mentioned (i think), are wide mouth squeeze bottles, and measuring cups with spouts. A lot of people love the long necked narrow spouts, but i dont have much luck working with those. Norpro makes some good measuring cups. I have a few 4 cup sized ones. the only issue i have had, is the red markings on the outside rub off easily. Has anyone else had the same problem? For someone just starting out, it's amazing how many items already in your kitchen/house can be used for molds. if lining is a problem (it is for me!) using inexpensive garbage can liners works well. you just wont have really smooth bottoms and edges, but nothing that cant be planed if that bothers you. A SB is the only relatively expensive must to start out, unless you have lots of time, and muscle.

Wow. Guess I'm not as clumsy as I thought. Buckets have an inside edge so to my mind (never tried, so maybe I'm wrong) it's just another corner for unmixed stuff to get stuck in. I also did mention the batch size that I make in them, understanding that everyone here makes different amounts and OP didn't say (or I don't remember, sorry if I misquote that) what size batches to make.

Just because you disagree with the usage of the bowl, doesn't mean it's wrong. (Your comment was NOT necessary.)

Oh, MAN...this is exactly the help I need! I can also be kinda clutsy so NA, I know exactly what you mean. I need to read through all this again, several times, and make a list. The bowls linked to Dollar Tree are the same ones I bought so I was glad to see those!

I scoured my kitchen today and came up with several things I don't use very often so can be moved to my soaping shelves. Also found several things I could use for molds, although I do have a wood 5lb and a 2.5lb silicone loaf mold.

Again...thank you ALL so much for taking the time to share all this valuable info! :clap:

ADDITVES
SUGAR TSP PER POUND OF OIL = BUBBLES
TUSSAH SILK OR NON COLORED NATURAL SILK THREAD FROM FABRIC STORE.
SODIUM LACTATE = FOR HARDNESS OF BAR
SALT TSP PPO FOR HARDNESS.
CARROTS PURREE
WATERMELON FROZEN
ETC

Yeah...what she said AND a really good pair of heavy duty long sleeve gloves...nothing more annoying that having it rip on you in the middle of a batch...spend the money and get a good pair. Goggles and although I have a respirator, in all honesty I don't use it, but I'm glad I have it.

Question: When do you add the sugar?
What is the silk thread for?
Frozen watermelon???

Aside from equipment, you also need to plan where you are going to store your soap babies while they cure - be sure you have adequate ventilation to prevent DOS, or rancidity.

Aside from equipment, you also need to plan where you are going to store your soap babies while they cure - be sure you have adequate ventilation to prevent DOS, or rancidity.

Cindy...I have a 5-shelf shelving unit for a trying rack and storage for right now. But with 3 batches currently curing, I can tell it won't be enough after a while!

Wow. Guess I'm not as clumsy as I thought. Buckets have an inside edge so to my mind (never tried, so maybe I'm wrong) it's just another corner for unmixed stuff to get stuck in. I also did mention the batch size that I make in them, understanding that everyone here makes different amounts and OP didn't say (or I don't remember, sorry if I misquote that) what size batches to make.

Just because you disagree with the usage of the bowl, doesn't mean it's wrong. (Your comment was NOT necessary.)

amd, I'm not sure if you are responding to me or Carolyn, but we are both pretty well-meaning for the most part, though, so if it came off wrong, I think it just, um came off wrong. No ill-will intended.

The plastic buckets I use don't have an inside rim, so stuff doesn't get stuck, but I do wish they had a pour spout (the tippiers one do, I use/d OXXO ones, similar in design to yours, but heavier/thicker, for me the ease in pouring was not worth the safety trade-off). I just have to use as stable a container as I can w/anything that contains lye b/c my clumsiness is horrendous. I think there might be something more than mere clumsiness, sometimes weird spasms or twitches that send things flying, so I am really careful about minimizing the chances of spillage to the degree that I can.

My batches are generally b/w 1.5 and 3 lbs of oils.

Last edited:
Deedles the addiction is overwhelming. My initial studio space was a corner in the basement - 12x16x23 with 8' of commercial shelving and a nice corner unit. I have now taken over another 16' of wall space on the other side. My hubby dreads seeing what lands on the front porch.

You will find that everywhere you go, you see things that can work as molds, soapy tools.... It's a wonderful thing-:)

Deedles the addiction is overwhelming. My initial studio space was a corner in the basement - 12x16x23 with 8' of commercial shelving and a nice corner unit. I have now taken over another 16' of wall space on the other side. My hubby dreads seeing what lands on the front porch.

You will find that everywhere you go, you see things that can work as molds, soapy tools.... It's a wonderful thing-:)

I'm already afraid of the addiction! LOL! I can already tell this one dinky shelving unit isn't going to be enough very soon!

With everything I do....sewing, knitting, leatherwork, etc. I tend to jump in with both feet when getting started. And yeah....I find stuff for my crafts everywhere! Hardware stores and tool departments are my favorites!
http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I'm already afraid of the addiction! LOL! I can already tell this one dinky shelving unit isn't going to be enough very soon!

With everything I do....sewing, knitting, leatherwork, etc. I tend to jump in with both feet when getting started. And yeah....I find stuff for my crafts everywhere! Hardware stores and tool departments are my favorites!
http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I tend to be the same way with my hobbies. I'm in for a penny in for a pound. Once I find something I enjoy, it takes over a segment of my space. I knit ans and crochet too, so there is an organised chaos of yarn in one cabinet. I quilt, so there is another corner dedicated to a desk I use as a sewing table and a cabinet with sewing related stuff. I sketch and paint, so there's a cabinet full of that. And now I soap. My bedroom closet is about to become the curing closet at this rate LOL.

Your question has been pretty well covered, above, but I'll just add that I find an advantage in using stainless steel. I have a stainless steel stockpot that I mix my oils in, and a stainless saucepan for my lye. What I like about SS is that it transfers heat well, meaning that you can assess the temperature of the oils or lye by feeling the side of the pot. I like to soap cool, so I wait until the side of the pot is just barely warm. Also, if you want to cool the lye fast, you can place the SS saucepan in a bowl of ice water. It's a small advantage, but one that I like. Also, because SS is not absorbent, once washed, they can still be used for cooking. I've been doing this for years, with no problems. I have a small house and a tiny kitchen, so space is at a premium. The sizes of containers you need will be dictated by the size of your batches. I use the regular stockpot for smaller batches, but I have huge one for when I master batch. Don't know if you have Ocean State Job Lot where you are, but they have a variety of SS pots. Thrift stores are a good place to look, too.

Like others, I love the dollar store for miscellaneous soaping tools. It's always fun to discover new stuff there. Good luck to you!

If you have a Dollar Tree in your area, I scored PET5 plastic pitchers there for 1$ each. I use one to mix lye in. Betty Crocker silicone spatulas, 3 for $1 (i bought like 5, because it is nice to have a spatula just for lye, one for oils and soap mix, one for each color, blah blah) and they have the mini squeegee spatulas on the end. I scored PET5 plastic bowls, large and small, to mix soap in, and I really can't remember all the goodies (oh, the color ramekins) anyway, you get. Dollar Tree rocks it for some stuff.

Thanks, Nav! I've always liked SS for cooking and have read alot about the advantages of using it for soaping, so thanks for validating all that.

The plastic buckets I use don't have an inside rim, so stuff doesn't get stuck, but I do wish they had a pour spout (the tippiers one do, I use/d OXXO ones, similar in design to yours, but heavier/thicker, for me the ease in pouring was not worth the safety trade-off).

Thanks for the additional info on the buckets - if they're rounded like bowls on the inside that makes sense! Do you have a link or anything so I know what to look for? The bf and I wandered around Lowe's over the weekend and didn't find anything like that. I'm always open to trying new equipment, especially if it means safer soaping!

PS: I know exactly what you mean about the random twitching. I'm more prone to it with small items such as pens. True story: in a meeting with the company president, I twitched and my pen flew across the table to smack him right in the face. I'm not allowed to have pens during meetings anymore.

Thanks for the additional info on the buckets - if they're rounded like bowls on the inside that makes sense! Do you have a link or anything so I know what to look for? The bf and I wandered around Lowe's over the weekend and didn't find anything like that. I'm always open to trying new equipment, especially if it means safer soaping!

PS: I know exactly what you mean about the random twitching. I'm more prone to it with small items such as pens. True story: in a meeting with the company president, I twitched and my pen flew across the table to smack him right in the face. I'm not allowed to have pens during meetings anymore.

I ordered mine on Amazon b/c I couldn't find the perfect size for my batches locally, let me try and find the link. The pen story is *exactly* like something I would do, it made me laugh. Spenny was talking about how clumsy she is and described stabbing herself in the face with a fork while eating, that is me, too!

ETA: Here's the link to the bucket: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ZVV02/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

It holds 5 qts, and at $5.30 (I have Amazon Prime, so no shipping cost) might be a little more expensive that you could find locally, but I did not want to spend too much time looking. Also, I cut off the metal handle so that I could put it in my mv, it works perfectly to warm up the oils if they need it before I add the lye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a lot, and I mean a lot, of fibro twitches, but never the satisfaction of twitching a pen in the bossman's face. I also have a quirky sense of humor, probably would have laughed hysterically while apologizing mortifiably, and been fired. This made me LOL.

Latest posts

Back