Soaping colors and FO/EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckscent

Reaction score
So how do you all figure what colors you use with what FO/EO?
Do you pick colors then a FO/EO to match or the other way around?

Me three, although on the rare occasion I'll do the opposite if I see a color combo that really strikes my fancy.

IrishLass :)

I'm the opposite. I usually figure out what look I want and what colors I want to work with, then I try to find a fragrance that suits it well enough. I'm no perfectionist about matching them though so I've made soap with Orange Peel FO in just about any color you can think of, for instance. Since smell is so different for people, I leave it up to everyone's brains to trick them into thinking it's all put together just perfectly.

I also pick the FO and then follow my family around asking them, "What color does this smell like?".

So glad I am not the only weirdo in the world. My family thinks I have lost it over soap.

I took some soap to my mother the other day (she's on the slippery slip to dementia) and she asked if she could open it and eat it. I said no it's soap - see it smells like gardenia and look it's green and white like a gardenia. She was sooo disappointed. I think I'll take chocolate next time. :cry:

Last edited:
So glad I am not the only weirdo in the world. My family thinks I have lost it over soap.

I took some soap to my mother the other day (she's on the slippery slip to dementia) and she asked if she could open it and eat it. I said no it's soap - see it smells like gardenia and look it's green and white like a gardenia. She was sooo disappointed. I think I'll take chocolate next time. :cry:

I am so sorry to hear about your mother! Dementia is a cruel process.

Foods are always good gifts for dementia patients. Another thought is music. They seem to respond extremely well to those old familiar songs that were popular when they were young, or hymns if they were church goers.

Sorry to hear about your Mom. It's so hard to know how to help...

<hugs>

I usually pick the FO first as well. Then I drive myself crazy trying to plan out the colors it "should" be. I actually wish I was a little less anal about that. The exception is if I want a specific colored soap because I don't have any made. Then I drive myself crazy in the opposite direction, ie - what FO smells like blue?

I'm so sorry. It's so difficult to watch someone you love slip away.

Back