Soaping 101 liquid soapmaking video?

Discussion in 'Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum' started by jenfrat, Jun 4, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 4, 2019 #821

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

I do the same thing, only I do it after dilution. I usually make a gallon at a time, then pour different FOs/EOs into 8 oz. Boston Round plastic containers. For 8 oz., I warm the LS for 45 seconds in the microwave, add 2.5 mls or so of fragrance in, stir, then pour into the container -- sometimes I add food coloring, but not always. I add a drop of color to 10 mls water to thin it, then add by drops until it's where I like it.

2. Mar 5, 2019 #822

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

A person certainly can add scent to the bottle as Zany describes, but I'll add a caution to that advice --

If you're using a fragrance (FO or EO or both) that you're not familiar with, it's always good to test the scent in a sample of soap first. Quite a few fragrances have no effect on the soap, but some will thicken the soap, some will thin it, and some will cause texture changes -- the soap can become chunky or stringy.

Thickness and texture changes happen often enough that it's not a smart idea to assume all will be well and charge forward into adding scent to a large amount of soap especially if it's already in bottles.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Zany_in_CO and Susie like this.
  3. Mar 5, 2019 #823

Susie

Susie

Susie

Supporting Member

^^^What DeeAnna said! Always, always, always test before committing yourself to a bottle full of soap. I generally pour a couple of ounces into a Pyrex measuring cup and add a proportionate amount of EO or FO into it. I give it a couple of hours before scenting a bottle full.

DeeAnna likes this.
  4. Mar 6, 2019 #824

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Just want to add "thin" as well. :D

5. Mar 6, 2019 #825

Carl

Carl

Carl

2.5 ML (AKA 1/2 TSP) seems like a small amount.
    I don't know the volume to weight conversion for the oils.

I've been using .25 OZ (by weight) for an 8 oz Boston Round bottle.

Maybe I'm using too much? But it doesn't seem too strong. I understand this could vary by oil, etc.

6. Mar 6, 2019 #826

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Excellent point, Carl! I use volume measurement to fragrance soaps because there's less waste... EO/FO squirted from a pipette directly from the bottle into the container not only wastes less fragrance, but it's just easier and faster to do. Most soapers (IME) use volume measures (mls or teaspoons) for small quantities. But that's just me. :D

There is no "volume to weight" conversion cuz, as you pointed out, FOs/EOs vary in weight. The only way to do that would be to weigh each and every FO/EO you use. :p
    Whatever works for you is what you should do. Let your nose be your guide... unless, of course, you exceed IFRA guidelines.o_O

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  7. Nov 20, 2019 #827

Mandymaz

Mandymaz

Mandymaz

Hi all,
    After many years I am back with my second batch. I re-read most of the thread, followed IrishLass’s recommendations, including dissolve KOH in water then add glycerine. I had a brain fart and used tap water instead of distilled. But the soap seems to have worked. The paste feels like soap, it smells like soap, looks like soap paste. No zap when I tested.
    I will be diluting in the next few days/weeks, when I have time. For now here’s a pic of my paste. I got a total of 2.659kg (5lb 13.8oz)

Attached Files:

8. Nov 20, 2019 #828

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

Looks good.

Mandymaz likes this.