Soaper's choice neem oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kumudini

Reaction score
Hi all, esp.Obsidian :), I bought me some neem oil to try from SC. I've loved to use neem soaps as a kid and as a young adult, this one in particular. So, I wanted to try it in a recipe. My question is about the odor. It's not stinky, I mean it's not pleasant but it smells very familiar, like the oil from our traditional mango pickle. It's toasted sesame oil, a lot of it in which all these things are added raw- mustard, fenugreek, lots of peeled garlic, sea salt, red chilli powder and cut up green mango. In short, the neem oil smells nutty, spicy and garlicky.
Do any of you agree with this description? If you have ordered this from SC, what did you think of the quality in general?

image.jpg

I smell rotten garlic and spoiled meat, doesn't matter where the oil comes from. When I used it at 25%, it nearly made me ill but once cured, the smell changed. I can't handle the smell of raw shea either, too me its very similar to neem.

I smell rotten garlic and spoiled meat, doesn't matter where the oil comes from.
I can't handle the smell of raw shea either, too me its very similar to neem.

Idk if I ever smelled rotten garlic but I do vaguely remember the gag inducing smell of rotting flesh and this is nothing like that thankfully.
Also are you referring to the unpleasantness of both fats or do you actually mean it when you said raw Shea butter is similar to neem oil? In any case, any suggestions on how to mask the scent, like some EO combos or FOs? It's not a very soapy scent.

I've never used it and likely won't as I've never heard anything good about it. :) Heck, I made an Aleppo style soap and I think it smells like pea soup. It's only been curing 5 months and that's all I think of when I check on it.

I don't smell anything dead here, but I guess our sniffers are all different and unique.
Actually Shari, I don't remember that soap in the pic doing anything great but the fact that I preferred to use it despite the medicinal smell and the stinging of mucous membranes tells me it was special in someway, may be I wasn't just paying attention. Also, except for the teenage acne I never had any skin issues, so I wouldn't really know if it worked for something, but I actually see several people on the Internet and here on the forum vouch for it as being effective for several skin conditions.
I'm definitely going to give it a try pretty soon.

The last shea I got from soapers choice smelled like mild neem, I was really surprised as the shea I had previously, smelled nutty.
I'm not sure what kind of a scent would cover or at least compliment neem. Once soaped, it seems more garlicy then anything but after 6+ month cure, mine smelled a bit like black tea. Once wet, the faint garlic smell came through. I figured if I ever use a high % of neem again, I'd try to find a astringent black tea FO.

Unfortunately, my neem soap has oatmeal in it which it too scratchy for me so I don't use it often. I really should try so I can see if it helps my skin. I do like it at 5% in a shampoo bar.

I got a bottle and I agree with the garlicky oniony nutty smell. It's not a pleasant smell but it's not gag worthy either. I plan on trying a soap with a small percentage of neem oil and I'm looking for scenting suggestions also :)

I was definitely considering the three EOs mentioned. I'm leaning towards Rosemary.

I always buy my neem from SC. I have never hated the scent of neem only when cutting the soap that is still wet inside. After cure I just find it to be a very earthy scent, but I do admit you cannot cover the scent it always eeks through. I usually use a mix of lavender, tea tree and lemongrass, & rosemary in my neem soap

I always buy my neem from SC. I have never hated the scent of neem only when cutting the soap that is still wet inside. After cure I just find it to be a very earthy scent, but I do admit you cannot cover the scent it always eeks through. I usually use a mix of lavender, tea tree and lemongrass, & rosemary in my neem soap

I hope this is true in my case also Carolyn. While sniffing the neem oil I didn't find it to be stinky, but soaping with it and cutting was a whole different story. It gave me headaches. I hope my mix of tea tree, eucalyptus and litsea covers up the stink a little after cure.

One of the soapers at a market I was at did nothing but neem based soaps. After three months EVERY soap I tested smelled the same....neem. No matter what the other scent was (lemon, etc). Blech. And the neem smell got into other soaps nearby-might be why the shea butter smelled like neem if they were stored together.

I use neem oil on my plants and if the soap stuff smells like that OOB no way is that coming in my garage.....

I'm pretty sure that neem oil is good for so many things, human and non human. The neem tree is respected as ' protector of life' in India. Just having a tree in your yard is considered very healthful. Yes I've studied modern science but I know to respect the nature.

After a good cure time, the neem scent fades somewhat and I don't find it bad. It's very very strong right after soaping but I've found several year old bars that smell only lightly of neem. I haven't found anything that covers the smell but I've used tea tree, litsea and rosemary as well and I think patchouli based scents might go well with it, as many people feel neem has some earthiness to it.

Latest posts

Back