Soapcalc Share

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK.. I took the numbers provided by the seven participants and (added/7)
to get an average between the seven people and here are the results:

Hardness 43
Cleansing 23(20) ( high because one number was 38 )
Average was more like 20 without this 38
Conditioning 53
Bubbly 29
Creamy 26
Iodine 55
INS 158

looks pretty good to me.
my last stats were:

Hardness 41
Cleansing 22
Conditioning 54
Bubbly 28
Creamy 25
Iodine 60
INS 157

I was very close to the average .
Happy soaping everyone!

Marr said:
I'm not positive - but I think oils high in unsaponifiables do not necessarily reflect that in the conditioning number.

Marr
Agreed! I use Avocado oil because of the high amount of unsaponifiables. Even tho on SoapCalc, I can change my avocado to something else and still get the same numbers, I DO NOT get the same bar of soap. BUt I do love SoapCalc bunches! :)

Soapcalc is handy and it can give you great insight into your final bar but I think ultimately no matter what recipe or numbers you have- if you love your soap and other people that you give or sell it too like it as well- then all is great. I use it as its one handy tool but I think NEA and Paul have hit it on the head as synergy of oils..I never thought of it that way and loved that post- I can't even remember what my basic recipe numbers are- have to go pull em up and see...be back later.

I am new to soaping but have been having lots of fun. One of my favorite soaps has this soapcalc profile.

hardness 35
cleansing 18
condition 62
bubbly 19
creamy 19
iodine 19

An olive & sunflower oil castille style soap I made has this soapcalc profile
hardness 15
cleansing 0
condition 85
bubbly 1
creamy 16
iodine 82

I have 4 oils, fats, or butters, I will not soap without...period. It just takes making your recipe, letting it cure, and testing. Studying the qualities of various oils, how they react with the SAP process, and just tweaking takes time and patience to develop a soap that is of consistent quality and is good for your tastes, and if selling, meets the needs for the public. All takes.....time! That is why soap making is like fine wine and cheese; "We will sell no soap before it's time!" :wink:

Paul

Absolutely true Paul and I'm with you on that- also you get to know your recipes inside and out that way and makes you a very comfortable soaper, with all due respect to the lye!:)
A new recipe freaks me out sometimes- not sure I like change of any kind

Paul wrote
That is why soap making is like fine wine and cheese; "We will sell no soap before it's time!
Well said Paul.. Sometimes the difference is Time..
"Is it soap Yet"

Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit. Ec 7:8

Paul - I saw that you were trying out the 100% CO 20% superfat bar as posted on the dish. I have made that recipe several times and that is one bar that needs aging. I was very unhappy with the results after one week - but after 4 it has improved ALOT. Men love that soap. Lots of bubbles!

Marr said:
Paul - I saw that you were trying out the 100% CO 20% superfat bar as posted on the dish. I have made that recipe several times and that is one bar that needs aging. I was very unhappy with the results after one week - but after 4 it has improved ALOT. Men love that soap. Lots of bubbles!
I'm waiting for my supplies to come in and all I have is pretty much coconut oil and lye :oops: I think I might have to try this...Is it very drying?

How do these look

Feel free to give me any suggestions. I am new to soap making.

H-42
C-29
C-52
B-46
C-30
I-64
INS-142

I haven't made my "own" recipe yet, I just keep scamming them off the internet and from books. I also use MMS Lye Calculator, so it doesn't give all these numbers.

Here's my question....

What numbers should you be aiming for?! I realize after reading all those posts that everyone has slightly different numbers, but is there a range that is generally accepted to aim for?

Thanks!
Kelly :lol:

mcleodnaturals said:
I haven't made my "own" recipe yet, I just keep scamming them off the internet and from books. I also use MMS Lye Calculator, so it doesn't give all these numbers.

Here's my question....

What numbers should you be aiming for?! I realize after reading all those posts that everyone has slightly different numbers, but is there a range that is generally accepted to aim for?

Thanks!
Kelly :lol:

check out he q&a section on soap calc, it discusses this.
barb

Latest posts

Back