Soapcalc question: will I be sorry I did this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay here are some pics, you can see the specks in the close up...never had anything like that happen before and notice how very little it effects the green mica added later...

003.jpg

004.jpg

Last edited:
If the glitter micron size is high enough, it may be noticeable as flecks. I powder will give a more even color but some people like to get a sparkly effect in their colors. The glitter colors I've gotten seem to be designed for the top rather than for color because of particle size.

You should also be aware that this particular recipe will result in a bar that doesn't last as long as a different recipe might, even with proper cure. You can get a gauge of how long a bar will last by the hardness number minus your cleansing number. In the teens or very low twenties, that bar will be used up faster than a bar with that number in the mid-twenties and up. I like to shoot for a number in the high twenties but that is not the only thing I'm considering. How you like your recipe is the most important thing.

If the glitter micron size is high enough, it may be noticeable as flecks. I powder will give a more even color but some people like to get a sparkly effect in their colors. The glitter colors I've gotten seem to be designed for the top rather than for color because of particle size.

You should also be aware that this particular recipe will result in a bar that doesn't last as long as a different recipe might, even with proper cure.
I have used the gold glitter mica like that but many CP reviewers touted this as a better option than AC for a true black bar...I just don't get it.
Lol...yeah I know it won't last long but I designed it for my sensative skin and lets face it at the rate I make soap...if it lasted much longer I'd be stockpiling...remember I don't sell, I use it or give it as gifts.:D

Where did you get that black mica? I don't think I would use it again (and am kind of curious now and might want to avoid it.)

If you have sensitive skin, I love lard (in large amounts, it also makes a hard, conditioning bar, w/nice creamy lather.) You will get more in the way of bubbles w/more CO, but adding lard and reducing CO will increase hardness and conditioning. My soapmaking goals are just what works for me, in order conditioning - hardness - bubbling, but they are all pretty important to me.

I also add SL for hardening, I count on it for hardness on unmolding (most people seem to think it does not help w/long term hardening, although others - the Soap Queen, eg, think that it does), plus it helps w/bubbles a bit. Like like everyone else, I add sugar for bubbles. Also, for the last few months I have been adding full coconut milk (powder, using the split method), the bubbles are even nicer with that. I only add butters, if at all, b/w 5-10% b/c of the lather-killing effect.

Here's a random recipe which I did a few months ago, it has cured out v. nicely, v. hard, moisturizing and plenty of bubbles (at least to my mind). This is more CO and less lard and castor than usual for me, but the numbers on mine all come out close, and this one has more CO, which seems to be your preference. I did not add CM to this one, but did add my standards - sugar, SL and EDTA (for chelation/reducing soap scum, although it is also reduces DOS and reputedly increases lather a bit.)

Oops, sorry, totally not posting (tried to do it from Evernote).

Last edited:
I would also argue that that 5% expensive rosehip oil is wasted in a wash off product - I would save that for a balm or body butter.
So I was done for the day and remembered that the first batch I tried with the rosehip oil at 5% was 3 weeks old today, the only difference was that I used lavender EO. So I hopped in the shower and gave it a try. I didn't notice the tingling so characteristic while in the shower so I figured...well it didn't survive the lye. After drying off and sitting down for a while I did notice the tingling, very light but absolutely there. I checked for blotching...my skin is really sensitive....nothing. Ten minutes later, my arms, face and chest...the areas that usually blotch and are the most sensitive still feel the light tingling. Now keep in mind that I use exfoliating gloves when I shower, but with the results I just got I will respectfully disagree. It seems that rosehip oil at 5% does nourish the skin and isn't a waste in a CP lye soap.
Now...I'm wondering about that calendula...

I've been using BB's Black Oxide Pigment...very black in CP soap. I premix at 1 tsp oxide per 1 Tbsp liquid glycerin, then add a few drops at a time to my batter until the color is what I want, it doesn't take much.

http://www.brambleberry.com/Black-Oxide-Pigment-P4044.aspx
Thanks, I'm gonna order some. If I want a glitter effect I can add some gold mica, but right now I really just want to get a black bar.

Latest posts

Back