SoapCalc is under new management

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
From http://soapcalc.net/ --------

"...Botanie Soap Inc is the proud new owner of SoapCalc! Botanie has over 15 years of soapmaking experience bringing a knowledge base to SoapCalc not previously available....

"You will start to notice things changing on within the website as Botanie Soap works to improve SoapCalc. Starting with a new logo and overall look. The lye calculator will remain with the same functionality and will only change in the sense to add new oils to improve its offerings and meet the needs of our users...."

I don't use soapcalc personally, but occasionally I refer to it when answering questions from others who do use it.

I hope this is a good thing for soapcalc and its users. That said, I'm thinking the original owner has had trouble keeping soapcalc going due to health problems, and I feel sad about that aspect of the change.

I can say they are very good at answering questions. I was having a slight problem with the date printing and they got back to me almost immediately.
I am also afraid his health issues have escalated to the point he could keep it going, it also saddens me. He is very nice person and was always good at answering any questions and fixing any problems. Sadly I have forgotten his name since it has been a few years since we had any correspondence.

Thanks, DeeAnna. I was wondering what was up. as one or 2 things just 'looked' a little different than the norm to me. I use SoapCalc all the time except for when I'm making liquid soap.

That's sad to hear about the owner going through some health problems. I definitely hope things improve for him. SoapCalc has been (and continues to be) such a wonderful source for me.

IrishLass :)

SoapCalc has been invaluable to me! When I'm looking for certain oil qualities, I go to SoapCalc first. I'm so sorry the current owner is going through health problems and I wish him all the best. I agree with Galaxy though, could be good, could be bad. If SMF comes up with a similar calculator, that would be like one stop shopping! One of the only things I don't like about SoapCalc is not being able to save my recipes or input the exact NaOH purity. Makes it a bit of a hassel at times having to input the same stuff time after time. I haven't looked at Soapee so maybe I should.

I use soapee as I don't like soapcalcs interface. But couldn't get by without a calculator. A good one here with a good interface and feature set would be welcome in my book.

Soapcalc was the first (and thus far only) calculator I tried. I don't really care for the new cluttered look of the calc page, even my adblocker doesn't clean it up like it used to. So if one were to be made for SMF I'd use it and be happy for it!

Edited to add that my batch size is almost never the same, since I use cardboard boxes and other things for molds a lot, plus I am still new and trying out different recipes. So yes, I use soapcalc every single time I make soap.

Last edited:
"...I don't really care for the new cluttered look of the calc page..."

Guspuppy -- I'm in agreement. My pet peeve about many websites nowadays is the herds of blinky ads and gif animations that people seem to think are cute or effective. Finding these ads on the calc page is a serious problem for me. I can tolerate static (non-changing) ads, but ones that flicker and change are intensely aggravating and can even make me a bit queasy after a time. Ugh.

"...I don't really care for the new cluttered look of the calc page..."

Guspuppy -- I'm in agreement. My pet peeve about many websites nowadays is the herds of blinky ads and gif animations that people seem to think are cute or effective. Finding these ads on the calc page is a serious problem for me. I can tolerate static (non-changing) ads, but ones that flicker and change are intensely aggravating and can even make me a bit queasy after a time. Ugh.

I will agree with that as well. It is nauseating.

http://soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

This it?

I could have our developer create this in a few days. You all use it that much? Maybe we should create one here.

To be fair, it would probably take you a whole week to really get it right. ;)

Yeah it's extremely widely used. Practically universal. If it's done without compromising functionality, SoapCalc has been been begging for a UI makeover for some time. I don't even know exactly when it went live, but I've personally been familiar with SoapCalc for a decade and the basic interface hasn't changed a bit.

If you want to go beyond the UI, I have a few ideas for week 2. :)

So sad to hear of his failing health. I've used SoapCalc quite a bit. Handy if I'm out of something and want to check using a different oil or butter and I like printing my recipe out with notes as to what fragrance and/or colorant I'm trying if it's a keeper. The interface seems a bit clunky to me, but gave results so I've kept using. The flashy ads are so very annoying.

To be fair, it would probably take you a whole week to really get it right. ;)

If you want to go beyond the UI, I have a few ideas for week 2. :)

I have a few "week 2" ideas, myself! I primarily use the BB calculator app on my android. I prefer it because it is an app. I can edit and save a recipe wherever I am. So, if we're making soap calculator wish lists, I think a phone app would go on mine.

http://soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp

This it?

I could have our developer create this in a few days. You all use it that much? Maybe we should create one here.

As someone being new to soap making, soapcalc has been invaluable so far so if you had a version here, that would be awesome. Then the soapmakingforum becomes a one-stop website :D

Back