Soap You Hate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorpheusPA

Reaction score
Does anybody else get railroaded into making soap they hate? My mother's new favorite is a lard soap (which I also like) with a carnation scent. A reek I can't stand, in other words, as it's sickeningly floral to my nose.

Not to mention the fact that it accelerates so severely that I have to soap cold, pre-dilute the carnation FO in part of my olive oil, and then beat the resulting mass into submission before I can pour it. Which is more slapping it into the mold.

The stuff is currently relegated to the guest bedroom to cure as I refuse to smell the stuff in my office.

Poor Thing Floral scent are rough.. I love them and hate them to :( So sad They have to be such misbehaving The Ocean scents I love but they too misbehave. :(

Does anybody else get railroaded into making soap they hate? My mother's new favorite is a lard soap (which I also like) with a carnation scent. A reek I can't stand, in other words, as it's sickeningly floral to my nose.

Not to mention the fact that it accelerates so severely that I have to soap cold, pre-dilute the carnation FO in part of my olive oil, and then beat the resulting mass into submission before I can pour it. Which is more slapping it into the mold.

The stuff is currently relegated to the guest bedroom to cure as I refuse to smell the stuff in my office.

Oh, thank heavens my mother doesn't like jasmine as carnation reeks...jasmine is intolerable.

And yeah, my dear spouse adores ocean scents. Which means I get to deal with ricing, accelerating, soap on a stick every now and again as well.

Why can't anybody like a nice, simple peppermint or sandalwood? I do!

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I'm getting awfully bored with just straight lavender soap. I've had to make a few double-batches lately for wholesale accounts and markets, and I'm just OVER it. Yes, it's lovely in its simplicity (honestly, I could take or leave the fragrance), but I just have so much more fun being more creative with scents, colors, and designs. Sigh. Why does it have to be just about everyone's favorite?!

I don't understand the floral hate, they all smell amazing to me, so sweet and complex. I haven't had many requests and most were for scents I like. My daughter has asked for a couple different mens cologne dupes and I simply told her to locate and buy the FO and I'd make the soap.

I think I just haven't found a good supplier for them. The honeysuckle I have smells a little like feet. The lilac I got smells a lot like feet. I love the rose scented soap I got in swap a while back so I wrote down that supplier to try it next.

I do like jasmine and honeysuckle as a whole but most fo's I've tried in soap just didn't end up pleasant. Finding the RIGHT fo is the trick.

I think I just haven't found a good supplier for them. The honeysuckle I have smells a little like feet. The lilac I got smells a lot like feet. I love the rose scented soap I got in swap a while back so I wrote down that supplier to try it next.

I do like jasmine and honeysuckle as a whole but most fo's I've tried in soap just didn't end up pleasant. Finding the RIGHT fo is the trick.

This is so funny! The variations in scent perception that people have noted on this forum have left me less confident about how "good" I smell when I am wearing my favorite fragrance. Now I am wondering whether my perfume smells like feet to the person standing next to me. Lol. I guess we will never know.

The carnation I have from Save on Scents (they actually do have some good ones) is pretty true to form. It has the proper spicy note.

This is so funny! The variations in scent perception that people have noted on this forum have left me less confident about how "good" I smell when I am wearing my favorite fragrance. Now I am wondering whether my perfume smells like feet to the person standing next to me. Lol. I guess we will never know.

Ironically floral perfumes are very different to my nose than how my fo's have ended up in soaps. I'm a hugely floral fan in perfumes. I wear several Jo Malone fragrances and they all have a jasmine, honeysuckle or gardenia note to them! Lol!

I make a lavender soap for my brother. I cant stand lavender. It smells bad and its just plain awful. I hate it. But my brother loves it and I am a good sister so I make it for him. I do hide it out in the back room so I dont have to smell it while it cures though.

I do not love floral scents. I am hating every floral FO I got a sample of. Jasmine smells like cat pee to me. None of the magnolia, honeysuckle, gardenia smell right. Had to throw the carnation away it smelled so bad and I could smell it even with the lid closed...I am just doomed to not like floral scents, I think.

I do not love floral scents. I am hating every floral FO I got a sample of. Jasmine smells like cat pee to me. None of the magnolia, honeysuckle, gardenia smell right. Had to throw the carnation away it smelled so bad and I could smell it even with the lid closed...I am just doomed to not like floral scents, I think.

I store my scents in the cellar for this reason...some tiny bit always escapes! The sum total of many fragrances is rather sickening, actually.

Most of the florals I've gotten don't, in any sense, smell like the flower they're supposed to represent. At least not to my nose. But like you, I'm not a fan of florals and I strongly prefer a grounded, sharp or earthy scent like evergreen or peppermint.

I used to have a Plumeria that was a great seller which gave me migraine headaches almost instantly. Had to make it, since I sell and it sold well. I finally found a very realistic Plumeria that sells even better and no headache. It is miserable to work with fo's you cannot stand. Good Son :razz:

I used to have a Plumeria that was a great seller which gave me migraine headaches almost instantly. Had to make it, since I sell and it sold well. I finally found a very realistic Plumeria that sells even better and no headache. It is miserable to work with fo's you cannot stand. Good Son :razz:

This Good Son did make a large batch so I don't have to do it again any time soon, however. I'll apportion it out as gifts and delivery on request as needed.

Hey, there's a limit.

I'm not a fan of florals in general but I LOVE plumeria. The best plumeria I have found is from WSP.

Latest posts

Back