Soap won't gel all the way

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that looks like partial gel, now that you've shared a photo. Partial gel usually causes a round or oval bullseye shape, not a "rind" like a wrapper on a candy bar.

Do you see the darker areas of these soap bars becoming lighter as the days go by? If so, the lighter rind is due moisture differences -- the outer layer of soap is dryer than the inner. You should see the rest of the bar lighten as the cut faces dry further. At least that has been my experience when I see this specific type of color pattern.

I don't think that looks like partial gel, now that you've shared a photo. Partial gel usually causes a round or oval bullseye shape, not a "rind" like a wrapper on a candy bar.

Do you see the darker areas of these soap bars becoming lighter as the days go by? If so, the lighter rind is due moisture differences -- the outer layer of soap is dryer than the inner. You should see the rest of the bar lighten as the cut faces dry further. At least that has been my experience when I see this specific type of color pattern.
That's what I thought, it doesn't really look like a classical partial gel.
Unfortunately it stays pretty much the same. I will post a photo of a cured soap later.

That's what I thought, it doesn't really look like a classical partial gel.
Unfortunately it stays pretty much the same. I will post a photo of a cured soap later.

So these soaps have fully cured. What do you think the issue might be? I am so confused now.
I remember one time when I used another mold, the soap overheated because I had tiny bubbles all over the soap, but then I still had the same problem of the edges being lighter.

20160404_175326.jpg

So these soaps have fully cured. What do you think the issue might be? I am so confused now.
I remember one time when I used another mold, the soap overheated because I had tiny bubbles all over the soap, but then I still had the same problem of the edges being lighter.

What sort of mold did you use? This time and when you had bubbles all over the soap?

Last edited:
"...wooden loaf mold with a lid and silicone liners..."

I see that the top of the soap doesn't show the rind, so I'm guessing now the problem is related to something going on between your soap and the liner. Have you made soap without the silicone liner and if so do you see the rind effect?

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas -- I'm a little puzzled too, PenelopeJane.

"...wooden loaf mold with a lid and silicone liners..."

I see that the top of the soap doesn't show the rind, so I'm guessing now the problem is related to something going on between your soap and the liner. Have you made soap without the silicone liner and if so do you see the rind effect?

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas -- I'm a little puzzled too, PenelopeJane.

Yes a wooden mold with silicone liners. But before I got the wooden mold I was using a regular baking silicone mold and had the exact same issue. And the overheating occured with that other mold. I have some soaps that are 4-5 months old and by this time the color evens out a little bit.
Also, I have a few batches that didn't have such a big contrast between the edges and the centre. But I've changed the recipe just a little bit over the past few months, so I have no clue what's causing this. I'm starting to think it's just something with my recipe. Which sucks, because I really like the way this soap feels.

Edit: I've only tried lining my wooden mold with baking paper once, but it's not really working, it gets wet and we don't have freezer paper here. So maybe it could be the silicone as well...

Last edited:
With 32% lye you would still need the oven. Most of those photos you see of fully gelled soaps that were wrapped in blankets are full water batches, which is 27-28% lye concentration. At 30% you would want to make sure you soap warm and insulate the mold to get full gel. If you want to use more concentrated lye than that, then use the oven.

Yes, this makes sense. But do you think that I have the partial gel issue? If you can tell from the pictures I posted. I'm starting to doubt it a little...

Personally I wouldn't change your recipe (since it looks ok) until you sort this problem out. Try something different with trace or curing and see how it goes.

So sorry I can't be more helpful but if the rind lessens over time it could be something to do with the way it cures.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't change your recipe (since it looks ok) until you sort this problem out. Try something different with trace or curing and see how it goes.

So sorry I can't be more helpful but if the rind lessens over time it could be something to do with the way it cures.

Thank you for your help! :) I have an idea about what might be wrong so I will start experimenting and hopefully I'll be able to tell what's wrong soon!

Back