Soap with issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anglezarke

Reaction score
I made a batch of CPHP recently and panicked, ending up with lumps in the end. It was 30% coconut oil, 30% palm, 20% olive oil and 10% castor oil superfatted to 3%. My first mistake was putting both hard and soft oils in the crock pot which then took an age to melt. Later, whilst I knew that castor oil led to a faster trace it pretty much turned to soap on a stick. I added cold water to thin it out and despite stirring more I couldnt shift the white lumps, which I presume were soap chunks or maybe lumps of hard fats. The lumps were solid and smooth.

I added dragons blood fragrance and red colouring, plus poppy seeds for exfoliation. Whilst I'm not keen - at all - on the final colouration, it does wash really well. It passed zap so I hadn't got concerns about being underfatted caused by the lumps.

Probably going to put this down to a learning curve!!

Attachments

• IMG_20181106_193553.jpg
    IMG_20181106_193553.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 24
It's possible that, by adding the cold water to the hot soap, you have caused the soap to cool and solidify (it was no longer molten).

If you are adding water, or any other liquid, to your HP soap, it is best to warm the liquid first to avoid this problem.

Rings, like you have around the white soap, are more common in soaps that is gelled in the mold where two different soaps meet - seeing this ring effect in a crockpot HP soap is a new one for me! :)

It dried out ok with defined colouration. I picked out some of the white spots to check they weren't lye, just in case. Thankfully not powdery nor crystally, and when dropped in water, didn't disperse. When stirred, got sudsy, and passed zap. Think I poured the EO in when too hot though, no top notes in the scent. Big learning curve! Thanks for the feedback.

We have all had those experiences when we think, "Boy I don't want to do that again." As you stated, it is a learning experience. Glad to hear that your soap turned out OK.

Back