Soap weight

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtbaa

Reaction score
I'm confused and not sure if this is somewhere else, but I keep seeing different ways of referring to the weight of a soap recipe. I'm talking Cold Process here. Like it seems some people refer to just the weight in oils as the weight of the batch and others the weight of the oils water and lye. I feel confused and not sure if it matters.

I hear ya! But it also depends on what the conversation is about. How much of an additive to add to soap…. PPO ( pounds per oil). The total volume of a mold… sometimes just oils and sometimes oils & liquids… splitting batter for specific designs and swirls with accent colors…it does get confusing which is one of the reasons to always run a new recipe though your preferred soap calculator for your specific batch planned. And I find it’s easier to start with a recipe that also give percentages of ingredients (or try my best to covert to percentages) that way I find it much easier to scale the recipe to fit my needs.

When using FO and EO the usual percentages referred to are PPO. Using SoapCalc or SoapMaker3 you can get the total weight of the recipe.

I'm confused and not sure if this is somewhere else, but I keep seeing different ways of referring to the weight of a soap recipe. I'm talking Cold Process here. Like it seems some people refer to just the weight in oils as the weight of the batch and others the weight of the oils water and lye. I feel confused and not sure if it matters.

Yes, it can be very confusing because some things are based on Weight of Oils...like additives, some are based on Total Batch Weight...like how much does a mold hold. And the reason for using Weight of Oils is because not everyone uses the same Lye Concentration and FOs/EOs can vary by usage rates and personal preference. It's also the reason why you will find a lot of recipes given in percentage as opposed to actual weight.

When using FO and EO the usual percentages referred to are PPO. Using SoapCalc or SoapMaker3 you can get the total weight of the recipe.

That's not strictly true. While soap calculators may use Oil Weight, fragrance calculators appear to use Total Batch Weight.

Back