Soap water evaporation sign of curing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought some soap from a well known and respected YTer. I found it harsh, and melted so quickly I honestly wondered if it was cured at all. Or is it high co?

I set it on the cure rack for two weeks, and all of the bars have lost 5 grams each. I’ve never weighed my bars when curing so have no idea if this is typical of an uncured soap. Debating on giving it away, or giving it a month....not overly keen on the scents anyway.

I used to weight my soaps regularly & make notations about weekly weights. 5 grams lost in two weeks sounds like the soap was probably not far into the cure at all. Of course how long it's been depends on the formula used in the first place. But when my soaps stopped loosing a noticeable weight (like only 1 or 2 grams per month), it was usually at least 3 months into cure, if I remember correctly. Those are the notes I did not keep as they were just on post-it notes & I never added them to my notebook.

Hmmm, if I can find it I will dig it up in the morning.

I did an experiment a year ago I think it was.. Like earleane, I weighed my soaps, but I made a specific batch of soap with a higher % of olive (not fond of a lot of olive in my soaps, so wanted to test to see) , and set aside 1 bar to keep for as long as possible.
I weighed it every 4-6 weeks to track the water loss in the bar over time.

IIRC the start weight was 170 grams, and it kept losing weigt long after cure. I just recorded the date and weight of the soap.

I should dig it up and weigh it again.
I can add the recipe too, if that is useful.

Latest posts

Back