soap was crumbly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessMommy

Reaction score
I've been out of town, but right before I left I made a small batch of soap in preparation for making my own laundry detergent. I asked about it here:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4770&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I let it cure in the mold for 22 hours and when I cut it it was very hard and kind of crumbly, almost chalky in texture. I did the zap test and it was fine (although I've never been zapped, so I don't know if it really works). I just check it and its very hard and a few crumbs still fall off.

here's the recipe I used:

coconut oil 3.5 oz (20%)
Tallow beef 14oz (80%)

Water 6.65 oz/ lye 2.5oz

Is it usable or should I toss it? What should I do to fix it next time?

Wait until one of the pros come by. Never toss anything until you are absolutely certain. I have seen some amazing saves on here. :D :D

Digit

When I have a crumbly recipe I reduce the water a little. That has seemed to help me, But I am a newby so you may want to wait for someone with more experience. You where making it for laundry soap correct? What is your laundry soap recipe? Your soap is still good and can be used for laundry soap I believe.

doolittle said:
When I have a crumbly recipe I reduce the water a little. That has seemed to help me, But I am a newby so you may want to wait for someone with more experience. You where making it for laundry soap correct? What is your laundry soap recipe? Your soap is still good and can be used for laundry soap I believe.

Yes, I want to make my own laundry soap. In my original post there are two links with recipes and instructions. If you do a google search you'll come up with tons (including a couple of video tutorials).

Sounds like either too little water too much lye or no soft oils. The only one I would really worry about would be the too much lye thing. Give it the old taste test and if it doesn't zap you I would go ahead and grate it and use it for laundry.

I usually make my soap for the laundry use at 0% and it can be too drying for the skin for just fine for laundry use.

Happy soaping!
Sudsy Bubbles

Latest posts

Back