Soap usage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, now I'm confused. There are two images. The first in the OPs first post which does show the fats. The second in the OPs post #11 shows only a summary. I thought the second image was showing a revised recipe, since the OPs message in post #11 appears to be a response to BattleGnome who suggested making revisions to the original recipe.

Is my perception incorrect? If so, my apologies for misunderstanding.
If you click on the summary picture in her second post, once it opens up, you should have the option to click a right-arrow to go to a second pic, which shows the actual recipe. I am able to do that on my computer and my phone, but people’s devices can differ, for sure.

@AliOop -- Yes, you are correct ... now ... but that wasn't the situation during the day yesterday when I said I was confused.

The OP added this third pic -- the one with the fats for the second recipe -- last night about 9 pm. We were having this discussion at a time when this third pic was not online.

We're good now. Really. My former confusion is now un-confused. ;)

@AliOop -- Yes, you are correct ... now ... but that wasn't the situation during the day yesterday when I said I was confused.

The OP added this third pic -- the one with the fats for the second recipe -- last night about 9 pm. We were having this discussion at a time when this third pic was not online.

We're good now. Really. My former confusion is now un-confused. ;)
ETA: sorry, should have read farther in the thread before replying since you got it all sorted.

Weird... I could always see the other pic, even before she re-posted it in the separate thread. I just had to open the summary pic and then click the right-arrow. Not sure why it did that, but glad the confusion is cleared up!

Last edited:
I hope I'm allowed to share links here, I just started making soap after watching soap making videos for about 3 years and I did a lot of reading and watching of tutorials. I did some searching when I finally decide to dive in and found a blog with a few beginner recipes that were very simple, maybe you could find use of these as well.
https://lovelygreens.com/easy-soap-recipes-beginners/
Thank you... should I then remove the ones with only 1% and increase the others or just remove them all together and recalculate everything in the lye calculator?

Do you have a recipe you'd recommend? I really wanted to start with a shampoo bar, so that's what i spent most of my time researching. Looking at recipes as a newbie cam be overwhelming.

I was talking on the phone with Sweet Cheeks (Laurie) the other day. I've been soaping for 16 years; Laurie is a certified Master Soaper, charges beaucoup bucks for her classes, wholesales to the premier Denver Brown Palace Hotel and Gaylord Spa at DIA among others. She and I both make lye-based shampoo bars. We both have fine thin hair. Personally, I didn't become a soaper only to go back to using a syndet (synthetic/detergent) shampoo. She laughed when I told her about the Syndet crowd here. She said, "I love my shampoo bar and it sells well. My hair has so much body after shampooing with it!"

Her recipe has few oils and is easy to make: 80% olive oil + 20% castor oil.
Directions: Zany's No Slime Castile

Shampoo Bars have been discussed many times on SMF. Take some time to search "Shampoo Bar" to get both sides of the story before you decide which way to go. Also, be aware that it may take some time for your hair to adjust to using soap for shampoo. Doing the search will help you understand more.

As I stated before, I know there were errors in making my first batch and lessons learned. Among other things my EO's made the batch go haywire and I didn't know what to do so I mixed it a bit (but apparently not enough) and put it in my mold. I used what I already had on hand which was a cylinder mold and some small heart shaped molds. They ended up with what looked like pools of oil (maybe the unmixed EO's) around the outside of the mold and splotchy on the inside of the ones I cut. The batter wasn't smooth when I filled the molds so that led to an lumpy texture. All in all it was a good learning experience and they still sud up and get the hands clean. Thank you everyone for your support and advice as I start this journey!

Attachments

• 20200610_125701.jpg
    20200610_125701.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 8
I was talking on the phone with Sweet Cheeks (Laurie) the other day. I've been soaping for 16 years; Laurie is a certified Master Soaper, charges beaucoup bucks for her classes, wholesales to the premier Denver Brown Palace Hotel and Gaylord Spa at DIA among others. She and I both make lye-based shampoo bars. We both have fine thin hair. Personally, I didn't become a soaper only to go back to using a syndet (synthetic/detergent) shampoo. She laughed when I told her about the Syndet crowd here. She said, "I love my shampoo bar and it sells well. My hair has so much body after shampooing with it!"

Shampoo Bars have been discussed many times on SMF. Take some time to search "Shampoo Bar" to get both sides of the story before you decide which way to go. Also, be aware that it may take some time for your hair to adjust to using soap for shampoo. Doing the search will help you understand more.

Does she have to use a ph balanced rinse or conditioner after the use of her shampoo bar? After so much research online (including this forum) I think it's about 50/50, some say it's bad for you're hair and others love it.

@Zany_in_CO , how long does she cure these before using? I have been meaning to try your ZNSC and have noted your shortened curing time when using the ZNSC method. Was wondering if that applies to Laurie's shampoo bar recipe, as well. Asking for a friend :nodding:

They ended up with what looked like pools of oil (maybe the unmixed EO's) around the outside of the mold and splotchy on the inside of the ones I cut. The batter wasn't smooth when I filled the molds so that led to an lumpy texture.
Notes from the Cole Brothers Web Site (now defunct)
Mottled Soap: Not stirred enough or too slowly or temperature fluctuation during cure.
Soap Separates in Mold, Greasy Surface Layer: Not enough lye, not cooked long enough, not stirred enough or too slowly.
Does she have to use a ph balanced rinse or conditioner after the use of her shampoo bar? After so much research online (including this forum) I think it's about 50/50, some say it's bad for you're hair and others love it.
When first transitioning to shampooing your hair with soap, it's best to use an acidic rinse like apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to restore the acid mantle of the scalp. 1 tablespoon in 16 oz warm water. Then continue rinsing with increasingly cool water until it's as cold as you can stand to get all the soap residue out. I don't know about Laurie, but myself and others don't feel the need to condition after the adjustment period. I sometimes use a dot of argan oil rubbed between my palms and onto my brush to add shine and to control flyaways. It only takes a bit. I tried a home made conditioner early on, but stopped using it after I ran out. Just didn't feel my hair needed it. It's pretty much what works for you.
how long does she cure these before using? I have been meaning to try your ZNSC and have noted your shortened curing time when using the ZNSC method. Was wondering if that applies to Laurie's shampoo bar recipe, as well.
HAHA. Asking for "a friend", eh? Laurie hasn't made ZNSC... yet! I just sent her the recipe. I imagine she cures her bars for 12 weeks/3 months which is the standard among soapers of our age. The myth that it takes a year for castile soap to cure is just that -- a myth. At some time many years ago, a soaper decided to make her castiles at the first of the year so they would be ready for the fall and holiday season markets. Somehow, that became the norm.

As I stated before, I know there were errors in making my first batch and lessons learned. Among other things my EO's made the batch go haywire and I didn't know what to do so I mixed it a bit (but apparently not enough) and put it in my mold. I used what I already had on hand which was a cylinder mold and some small heart shaped molds. They ended up with what looked like pools of oil (maybe the unmixed EO's) around the outside of the mold and splotchy on the inside of the ones I cut. The batter wasn't smooth when I filled the molds so that led to an lumpy texture. All in all it was a good learning experience and they still sud up and get the hands clean. Thank you everyone for your support and advice as I start this journey!

Congratulations on your first batch of soap! My first batch didn't turn out very well but after a couple more batches it became easier and now I'm hooked.

I'm still new so I can't really answer too much about trouble shooting but to add my bit of advice, the best thing that helped me when I first started was experimenting. I made up a simple recipe using what oils/fats I had on hand and then did several very small (9oz) batches. I used single bar molds so I could do such a small batch and then tweaked each batch using a different lye percentage and SF. That way I could physically see the differences. I still continue to experiment this way to try to figure out new recipes and such. That way I'm only wasting (although no soap is really a waste) 2 or 3 bars at a time.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/experimenting-with-lye-concentration-and-discount.79175/

I have to ask if she is a cosmetologist? I am sorry soap is not good for hair. As I have mentioned before, remember what happened to Chaz Dean when he tried to jump on the "Natural Band Wagon," he got sued big time. He knew better... They settled and made it quietly go away. While soap may not affect everyone it will affect some and hair cannot be fixed once the damage is done since hair is dead. That beautiful hair growing down your back may be very resilient and shiny but it is still dead and you just cannot fix dead.

While soap may not affect everyone it will affect some and hair cannot be fixed once the damage is done since hair is dead. That beautiful hair growing down your back may be very resilient and shiny but it is still dead and you just cannot fix dead.
You're right, Carolyn! I looked it up on Google:
Source: https://kidshealth.org/en/kids/hair.html
Tiny blood vessels at the base of every follicle feed the hair root to keep it growing. But once the hair is at the skin's surface, the cells within the strand of hair aren't alive anymore. The hair you see on every part of your body contains dead cells.

HAHA. Asking for "a friend", eh? Laurie hasn't made ZNSC... yet! I just sent her the recipe. I imagine she cures her bars for 12 weeks/3 months which is the standard among soapers of our age. The myth that it takes a year for castile soap to cure is just that -- a myth. At some time many years ago, a soaper decided to make her castiles at the first of the year so they would be ready for the fall and holiday season markets. Somehow, that became the norm.
Thanks for the info. I used hair soap for years and never had any trouble with it. My hair is very thick, curly long, and low porosity - and super healthy, per the comments from my hairdressers. That being said, I never recommended hair soap to others bc I knew so many whose hair was absolutely ruined by soap! ETA: my own husband could not use hair soap at all - made a lot of his fall out.

I only stopped using hair soap when I started using henna+indigo to cover the grays about a year ago -- and then only because soap definitely stripped out the henna color much faster than shampoo. So I reluctantly returned to shampoo at that time. My thought is that perhaps I could return to using hair soap with a Castile, which would be less stripping, due to the lack of CO. I shall experiment and see how it goes.

Last edited:
super healthy, per the comments from my hairdressers.
I have had the same experience. I think it's because I have "virgin" hair. I colored and permed my hair until age 45 (32 years ago). That's when my DD said to me, "Mom, why don't you let your hair grow out to allow your natural beauty to come through?" LOL So I did! I also stopped wearing tinted (green, blue) contacts too. I was shocked to see my real eye color... gray that turns blue or green depending on what color I'm wearing.
My thought is that perhaps perhaps I could return to using hair soap with a Castile, which would be less stripping, due to the lack of CO. I shall experiment and see how it goes.
Castile is one of the mildest soaps. I've shampooed with my bar but I like my liquid shampoo better. The thing about shampoo bars is that they are great for travel and you only need one bar in the shower as opposed to multiple bottles of his & hers shampoo and conditioner.

BTW, I made a 100% almond oil liquid shampoo for a customer once. Special order. She loved it. I was skeptical but surprised at how well it lathered. Almond oil is supposed to be good for hair and skin. Jackie Kennedy used it all over her body every night. I'm trying to think who it was that tried ZNSC with almond oil. It's in that thread somewhere. Worked for him. You might try that? With Rosemary & Lavender EO blend... also supposed to be good for hair.

HAVE FUN & HAPPY SOAPING!

@Zany_in_CO When you say "liquid shampoo," do you mean a liquid soap, or a shampoo with other non-soap surfactants? I don't react well to most of those (skin breakouts, peeling, overall itchiness, headaches from the fragrance). Plus I'm cheap and would rather have an excuse to make soap! 😂

LOL Sorry. I should have said, lye-based liquid shampoo.
Thank you! I need to make some more liquid soap, so I may give that one a try. Even if I don't like it for my hair, it should be lovely for washing hands at the sink. :)

Have you ever tried the "fast" method of making liquid soap? I learned it from the soap creator on this site, and it is soooooo much faster and easier than the typical long methods that I read about:

https://www.ultimatehpsoap.com/post/sunflower-bubbles-30-minute-liquid-soap-we-make-liquid-soap-easy

I've said it before and I say it again... There are about as many different ways to make LS as there are LS'ers! Find the method that works for you and stick with it until you've made several batches.

The key to make "fast" LS is the use of glycerin for all or part of your water. It allows you to process faster due to the high heat. Using glycerin to make your lye solution started with Carrie Peterson's GLS (Glycerin Liquid Soap) where the batch becomes soap in all of 2 minutes! I actually timed it the first time I made it! CAUTION: That method is NOT for beginners. Not only is the glycerin/KOH extremely hot, it can give off toxic fumes if you don't know when to pull it off the heat source.

I use that method for 100% olive oil LS because OO takes a long time to trace and a looooooong time to cook.

I'm "Old School". Nuthin' but water, KOH and fats. No sodium lactate, salt, sugar or whatever else was in that recipe. Most of my pastes are done in 30 minutes, including clean-up. Oven process over night. Ready to dilute the next day.

I will also note I was a hairdresser for 30+ years and my mom was a hairdresser for over 50 years when she retired. So my comments were not something I have just read on the internet. There are cosmetologists here or have family members that are cosmetologists. This is why I would never have any respect for Chaz Dean, all he wanted to do was get rich quick at the risk of damaging hair. He knew exactly what he was making and it has all been buried. I commented to my husband when his first product line came out he would get sued. Now it takes a lot of digging to even come up with the original product and the ingredient list.

Also, hair cannot "adjust," only something alive can adjust. You adjust and accept the feel unless your hair actually starts falling out.

Latest posts

Back