Soap unmolding and cutting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Seaton

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to soap making so I have a silly question. I tried a new soap recipe recently that I really enjoyed working with. The only problem was that I went to un-mold my soap after 48 hours and it was still pretty soft. I had trouble getting it out of the mold and my fingers were making dents in it. :( I wait another 2 days to cut it and it was still a bit soft. When this happens, should I wait even longer to un-mold the soap? Or is it unusual that it should take so long to firm up? I also tried covering it differently, and although I was really happy to have my first batch without soda ash, I was thinking that may be the reason my soap was taking awhile to harden. Thank you for your help!

Depending on your recipe, ambient temps, whether the soap gelled or not, and other environmental surroundings, and especially if you are using a high olive oil content, it can take up to a week to unmold and cut. Sometimes longer.

recipe please?

Recipes that are low in hard oils (coconut, lard, tallow, palm, shea butter, cocoa butter) will take longer to firm up. High olive oil soaps especially. Did you gel?

I think I did get gel. My recipe is pretty low in hard oils. In that case, is it normal to wait about a week before unmolding?

recipe please?

Recipes that are low in hard oils (coconut, lard, tallow, palm, shea butter, cocoa butter) will take longer to firm up. High olive oil soaps especially. Did you gel?

I used Olive oil, canola oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, castor oil and kokum butter.

Depending on your recipe, ambient temps, whether the soap gelled or not, and other environmental surroundings, and especially if you are using a high olive oil content, it can take up to a week to unmold and cut. Sometimes longer.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
A week to unmold isn't uncommon with a recipe high in soft oils. What about the water? How much did you use? When you mentioned you had trouble in the past with soda ash, the water amount struck me. When I was using the default water amount in Soap Calc, I usually got ash. I decreased the water to lye ratio to 2:1 or less and no more soda ash.

A week to unmold isn't uncommon with a recipe high in soft oils. What about the water? How much did you use? When you mentioned you had trouble in the past with soda ash, the water amount struck me. When I was using the default water amount in Soap Calc, I usually got ash. I decreased the water to lye ratio to 2:1 or less and no more soda ash.

My water to lye ratio was 2.7:1 That's good to know! I had no idea that had an effect on soda ash.

This may be only a temporary fix suggestion for that moment when you realize that it is already happening - Stick it in the freezer then try again later.

Good idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
My water to lye ratio was 2.7:1 That's good to know! I had no idea that had an effect on soda ash.

There's part of the problem! At 2.7:1 water to lye ratio, you've added quite a bit of water you don't need. It'll keep the soap softer longer, not only extra time to unmold, but extra time curing to firm up.

To compare your water to my standard recipe of 36 oz oils, I use 9.1 oz water (258 gms) which is 1.8:1 ratio. Same recipe at your ratio is 13.7 oz (388 gms). Those few oz/gms really make a difference in the time it will take to firm up. You'll also notice your soda ash problem will vanish (mostly anyway as I have a couple of FO's that cause ash no matter what I do).

I suggest trying 2:1 water to lye and see how that works out for you. Good luck Sarah!

There's part of the problem! At 2.7:1 water to lye ratio, you've added quite a bit of water you don't need. It'll keep the soap softer longer, not only extra time to unmold, but extra time curing to firm up.

To compare your water to my standard recipe of 36 oz oils, I use 9.1 oz water (258 gms) which is 1.8:1 ratio. Same recipe at your ratio is 13.7 oz (388 gms). Those few oz/gms really make a difference in the time it will take to firm up. You'll also notice your soda ash problem will vanish (mostly anyway as I have a couple of FO's that cause ash no matter what I do).

I suggest trying 2:1 water to lye and see how that works out for you. Good luck Sarah!

That is so helpful! Thank you

When I have soft batches like Castile, I set my soap in a well ventilated area and let a fan blow on it. I also put silica packets near the bars without the packets touching them. It maybe overkill, but I swear it helps!! Did you use sodium lactate in your lye water? This also helps with unfolding!

When I have soft batches like Castile, I set my soap in a well ventilated area and let a fan blow on it. I also put silica packets near the bars without the packets touching them. It maybe overkill, but I swear it helps!! Did you use sodium lactate in your lye water? This also helps with unfolding!

I did not use sodium lactate. Would you recommend it?

I did not use sodium lactate. Would you recommend it?
Yes, definitely!! It really helps to harden the bars before cutting! You can also dissolve a little sea salt in your water before adding the lye, but I prefer the sodium lactate.. If you try the sea salt, just add 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pound of total oils used in your recipe.

Yes, definitely!! It really helps to harden the bars before cutting! You can also dissolve a little sea salt in your water before adding the lye, but I prefer the sodium lactate.. If you try the sea salt, just add 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pound of total oils used in your recipe.

Do i add the sodium lactate the same time I add the lye to the water, or wait until just before I add it to my oils. And how much do you put it? Haha sorry for all the questions.

Do i add the sodium lactate the same time I add the lye to the water, or wait until just before I add it to my oils. And how much do you put it? Haha sorry for all the questions.
No worries! Just add the sodium lactate after your lye water has cooled down a bit. If you’re using sea salt, mix it in the water before adding your lye or else you’ll end up with salt bars. Which are awesome, but not if you’re not planning on them... I’ve had a film when adding too much salt to my water after adding the lye, but it hasn’t caused an issue with my bars. Ask as many questions as you like or need! That’s why we’re here! To help support our fellow makers!

Good idea!

No worries! Just add the sodium lactate after your lye water has cooled down a bit. If you’re using sea salt, mix it in the water before adding your lye or else you’ll end up with salt bars. Which are awesome, but not if you’re not planning on them... I’ve had a film when adding too much salt to my water after adding the lye, but it hasn’t caused an issue with my bars. Ask as many questions as you like or need! That’s why we’re here! To help support our fellow makers!

And does the sodium lactate or salt accelerate trace at all?

I have recently started replacing my water with vinegar, and it makes the soap ready to unmold really fast! If you use 100% vinegar replacement, drop your superfat from 5% to 0, because the vinegar will neutralize some of the lye. So you will still end up with approximately 5% superfat. I love how easy it slides out of the molds! However, you will need to be prepared to unmold and slice in 8-12 hrs, vs 24.

Latest posts

Back