Soap Un-discolors When Wet

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Emerald_Chicken

Reaction score
20210102_193957.jpg

These two bars of soap are from the same batch, made in November. They're fragranced with BB's Espresso FO, which has a 3.5% vanilla content and discolors to brown. After using a bar for a while, I've discovered that the discoloration reverses, at least somewhat, when the soap is wet (the bar on the left). When it dries out, it gets darker again (like the new bar on the right).

Is this common for soaps with vanilla discoloration? Anyone else experience this?

View attachment 52927
These two bars of soap are from the same batch, made in November. They're fragranced with BB's Espresso FO, which has a 3.5% vanilla content and discolors to brown. After using a bar for a while, I've discovered that the discoloration reverses, at least somewhat, when the soap is wet (the bar on the left). When it dries out, it gets darker again (like the new bar on the right).

Is this common for soaps with vanilla discoloration? Anyone else experience this?
very interesting. Hmm

The discoloration is from the FO reacting with the air. Your soap likely isn't that color the whole way through, just at the surface. The discolored portion rubs off when you use it, and then it re-colors again.
I colored a soap with green Mica, then used a discoloring FO that turned it brown. So, I get to glimpse the pretty green when I use it, and when it dries it turns back to brown again.

Back