1. We are helping test out a new project for soapmakers. Soapmaking Friend. If you are interested in providing feedback and help guide this project to include all you want to see in a recipe builder and calculator please PM an Admin or post in the Announcements forum. Your feedback is really needed!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Soap turns scratchy

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Plschrader, Nov 8, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 8, 2018 #1

Plschrader

Plschrader

Plschrader

how is it possible to make soap for years then all of a sudden a new problem happens. When I go to use my soaps something in them is scratchy. It feels kind of like sand. Very basic recipe. Coconut, olive, palm, castor, meadowfoam and Shea butter. Sometimes TD. Mica colors. Super fat 5-7%. Ick. I want my soap to be creamy not scratchy.

2. Nov 8, 2018 #2

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Are you soaping to cool and your palm and/or shea butter is becoming grainy? You need to make sure all your oils are well melted. Also are you gelling your soap? It will make for a creamier soap. Stearic acid specks would be my guess

3. Nov 8, 2018 #3

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

4. Nov 8, 2018 #4

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

I took a fair bit of time to write a thoughtful reply to your other thread about "grainy stuff in soap." Did you look into any of the suggestions I made? It sure would be nice to get your feedback. A thoughtful response from you would encourage me to help you further with your problem.

HoneyLady and shunt2011 like this.
  5. Nov 8, 2018 #5

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I never saw the other post or your Answers DeeAnna. Had to keep up with 3 threads pertaining to the same problem. Or that is what it seem since beeswax was mentioned in the posting from the above link.

shunt2011 likes this.
  6. Nov 8, 2018 #6

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Your suggestions go along with mine, Carolyn -- soapy minds think alike! :)

Here's the third recent thread about grainy/gritty/scratchy soap. Plschrader didn't start this one, but did chime in for help starting at Post 16 for those wanting the full story. A later post in this thread mentions the beeswax. https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/scratchy-soap-help.71807/

HoneyLady likes this.