Soap Tracing Too Fast

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponista

Reaction score
I have made hundreds and hundreds of bars of soap using my same recipe and never had a problem with it tracing way too quickly, but this month it has been a nightmare. My recipe is just Palm, olive, sunflower and coconut oil. I thought at first it was the olive oil as I had changed supplier, but I swapped back to the original supplier and nothing has improved. This leads me to think it must be the palm or coconut that is causing the problem. I went back to basics so it's not fragrance or any other additives, just plain regular soap batter. I thought it might be winter temperatures causing false trace as I soap at room temperature, but I tried carefully measuring temperature and soaping warmer and that made no difference. I am going to have to buy new palm and coconut oil to see if I can resolve the problem, but I was wondering if anyone else had ever had a bad batch of either of these oils that had caused them issues?

They are plugged into the wall so run on mains power and I calibrated them recently so it's definitely not that. It's so odd!

I would blame the palm. The first batch I ever used made my soap trace really fast. The palm I have now isn't near as bad.

Are you using pomace?
It's extracted with chemicals from the left over mash and leaves and twigs and can also be mixed with other oils to pad it out. It's a known accelerator and because each batch is different results can be unpredictable.

Both the original supplier and the new OO could be reacting similarly. I always wonder is there a main wholesale supplier who supplies all the others so everyone gets a "contaminated" batch. Could be paranoia on my part. :)

That's interesting. I don't suppose you have a new, more powerful stickblender causing the issue? Most of the time I only stick blend for about 10 seconds then switch to a spatula to extend my working time.

I don't use pomace as it always seems to cause crazy amounts of acceleration, it is regular olive oil. The new lot was cheaper so I thought it might have been misrepresented and actually pomace, but the stuff I went back to was the usual stuff which I know works as I used that batch number and it worked previously.

Same old stock blender too! I am going to buy more palm tomorrow and specifically check for a different batch code on the boxes. Wish me luck!

Another stab in the dark... Are you fully melting your palm oil and shaking it up before using it? I believe it can separate into layers with different fatty acid profiles, so if you're just scooping it solid, that could cause your unusual results.

Due to weather changes, has the ambient temperature in the room you soap in dropped? That could cause the oils to be cooler, and possibly trace faster. I know for me, in the winter time I have a similar problem, so I soap about 5° warmer, and it eliminates the problem.

Just a thought...

Latest posts

Back