Soap that looks like river rocks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milky

Reaction score
I have this idea that I want to try and I'd love to have some help brainstorming how to do it. It's probably been done before but I couldn't find what I was imagining anywhere.

I'd like to make soap that looks like river rocks and then make cairns with them. Just think it'd be neat. I'd probably shape them by hand when the batter is still soft. Not sure how to get the right colors and texture though. Maybe an in-the-pot swirl of neutral hues and a little sparkle.. Would it work to intentionally rice the batter? That's probably too advanced for me though.

attachment.php

hmm... let's see if this photo works. Found a pic of soap posted by newbie under "browsing soap pics." It has the idea but is less realistic than I was thinking.

Wow, thanks for the links!
DeeAnna, your rocks look amazing! Great idea for floating soap, too! I doubt I'll ever have enough scrap bits to use so I'll have to make some special. Using shredded soap really worked for that granite texture. In my head I was thinking of making different soaps to look like granite or marble of coordinating colors. The Youtube video will be a good idea if/when I get a scary FO reaction. For marble, I'm guessing that layers and mica lines might do the trick, and then being careful while shaping.

Here are a couple of pictures that I like for inspiration:

il_570xN.233811369.jpg

il_570xN.485111002_oh30.jpg

Last edited:
Oh! I should try that, Carolyn. Thanks for the tip!

Milky -- your granite stones have a finer grain than the rocks I used as inspiration. You'd get that fine texture if you grate various colors of soap with a fine grater -- maybe a grater meant more for Parmesan cheese rather than the coarser one I'd use for cheddar or mozzarella.

Last edited:
I still had to add in a little water at times when the top look dry, like you a tbs at a time. I also used a hdpe bucket for melting. Actually mine float upside down because I did not rebatch enough and had to add a layer of new soap. I also microwaved in 1.1.5 minute incrememts

Latest posts

Back