Soap/syndet hybrid bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Decided to use up some of my sodium lauryl sulfoacetate that is sitting around taking up room.
Made a small 8 oz batch of CP with 8 oz of the slsa. The powder mixed in well, by the time I blended most the lumps out it was like thick cake batter but still fluid, not sticky like accelerated CP.

Was easy to get in the individual molds, heated up a little, probably not enough to gel but I couldn't tell since the slsa made it look chalky.

The bars are already pretty hard and they are still warm. The surface is changing color, I can't tell if its ash or just the power drying.

Not sure what to expect with these, I just hope they stay together and are useable. I used a nice hard recipe hoping that would ensure a cohesive product.

Guess I can post pics. There are some fine cracks on the surface. Hope that doesn't mean they will crack apart.

Used orange mica, no scent

Attachments

• 20200707_102136.jpg
    20200707_102136.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200707_102152.jpg
    20200707_102152.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 31
Ah, I always wanted to try these and never got to it. I bought a dishwashing "brick" that is hybrid (according to the ingredients), and I like it very much -- rock hard, lots of suds, cleans very well. Maybe will try to recreate it (it's just CO soap with SCS+SCI).

They look great! I'm curious how they feel, compared to the one with your soap recipe only.

I popped the smaller one out of the mold, wanting to see how it does as it dries.

I really think using your choice of detergent in noodle form would be sturdier.

If by chance these fall apart, I'll put them in another batch. Slsa is too pricey to waste.

Ah, I always wanted to try these and never got to it. I bought a dishwashing "brick" that is hybrid (according to the ingredients), and I like it very much -- rock hard, lots of suds, cleans very well. Maybe will try to recreate it (it's just CO soap with SCS+SCI).

They look great! I'm curious how they feel, compared to the one with your soap recipe only.
Ive been thinking of doing exactly that too.. LTHP hybrid with SCI & SCS as a dish block.. can't think of any reason it wouldn't work and maybe be longer lasting than 100% CO😊 going to source some SCS to go with my SCI and give it a try..
Unless anyone can suggest a reason it wont be any better..

I think I might have used too much slsa. The lather is weird, almost slimy like castile. I hope a long cure will make it better

I think I might have used too much slsa. The lather is weird, almost slimy like castile. I hope a long cure will make it better
That's interesting! Never thought of slsa as being slimey -- but I don't think I've ever used in itself. Will be curious to hear if it gets better. Hope so!

Decided to use up some of my sodium lauryl sulfoacetate that is sitting around taking up room.
Made a small 8 oz batch of CP with 8 oz of the slsa. The powder mixed in well, by the time I blended most the lumps out it was like thick cake batter but still fluid, not sticky like accelerated CP.

Was easy to get in the individual molds, heated up a little, probably not enough to gel but I couldn't tell since the slsa made it look chalky.

The bars are already pretty hard and they are still warm. The surface is changing color, I can't tell if its ash or just the power drying.

Not sure what to expect with these, I just hope they stay together and are useable. I used a nice hard recipe hoping that would ensure a cohesive product.
Can't be ash, per se, as that is a result of the NaOH reacting with CO2, and there's no NaOH in a syndet bar. I make a solid dish soap with SLSa, a recipe I got from humblebeeandme.com and changed a little - the recipe actually calls for SCS but I didn't have it. The dish soap is supposed to be a paste, but it hardens up pretty quickly.

Can't be ash, per se, as that is a result of the NaOH reacting with CO2, and there's no NaOH in a syndet bar. I make a solid dish soap with SLSa, a recipe I got from humblebeeandme.com and changed a little - the recipe actually calls for SCS but I didn't have it. The dish soap is supposed to be a paste, but it hardens up pretty quickly.
This does have NaOH. Its regular old lye soap with slsa powder mixed in.

Latest posts

Back