Soap stuck in mould!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joined
Feb 4, 2024
Messages
24
Reaction score
31
Location
Uk
Just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and why it might have happened.....

Made a test batch yesterday as wanted to add oatmeal so in 500g batch I added 1tbsp oatmeal. Stirred and SB into oils before adding lye.
I then made my soap as usual, soaping at around 40 degrees c..... but decided not to use a heating pad as I normally do so just let on the side to do it's thing......
24 hours later I went to unmould and the loaf was completely and utterly wedged in the wooden box..... I couldn't get a knife down in-between the silicone and wood and it would not push out from the release holes at the bottom. With a massive amount of hitting with my mallet and pushing quite hard on the holes it finally came out but why would this have happened? Could it have been the oats expanding? If they did then why go outwards and not upwards? I understand oats can heat up the batter, but it was pretty cool and the soap doesn't seem to have gone through gel.
Once I did get it out it was also quite a different bar of soap to my normal one.....slightly pliable around the edges and had an almost aged cheese look where i could separate a bar easily and it had a crumbly texture. I've set it aside to see what happens over the next few days but this one has me really baffled.

The only differences are that I added the oatmeal and didn't put it on a heating pad. Everything else totally fine. Scales calibrated, lye fresh, all oils added, water amount correct.....

Someone please enlighten me ;)
 
I mean to use this method on the current batch. As soap gets colder it contracts, making it pull away from the mold. https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...molding-cold-process-soap-from-plastic-molds/
Ah I see. Thank you for that. I actually battled with it enough this morning and got the silicone liner and loaf out of the wooden mould and it came out of the silicone fine but its just so weird how it swelled like that. It absolutely must have been the oatmeal...... if i ever happens again I'll do the freezer method! Thanks for the tip.
 
Ah I see. Thank you for that. I actually battled with it enough this morning and got the silicone liner and loaf out of the wooden mould and it came out of the silicone fine but its just so weird how it swelled like that. It absolutely must have been the oatmeal...... if i ever happens again I'll do the freezer method! Thanks for the tip.
Not gelling can result in uneven texture between the outside and inside, as you described, especially when pouring at thinner trace.

Also, if you happened to spill even a bit of soap between the silicone and the wood, that will act like glue and make it very difficult to remove the liner from the wood, exactly as you described. I've done this a few times when making designs that called for a tilted mold, and pouring down the wall of the liner. It really doesn't take much spillage to create a strong glue effect.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top