Soap still soft after 3 weeks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
pretty new to soapmaking and having troubles.
Please see the recipe below - problem is that after 3 weeks the soap is still very soft.
No measuring errors - is the problem with 7% superfat+too much sunflower oil?
thank you for any info!

Screenshot_2021-01-20_09-34-12.png

I don't know how how to fix your recipe. There are lots of people more qualified than me for that. I am sure when people wake up you will get lots of help.

Welcome to the forum. I seem to be the only one awake right now so I figured I would respond.

Your Sunflower Oil is fine, recommended max is 20%. Biggest problem is that your water is 38% of your recipe...that's a LOT of water and it's going to take months for your soap to cure properly.

Try it again, but go with a Lye Concentration of 33% to 35% percent depending on how you cure your soap. I'm in the Pacific Northwest in the US and we get a lot of rain during the winter (it's raining right now) and I cure in my garage so I am using a 35% Lye Concentration. To compare...35% Lye Concentration is 25.66% Water as percent of oil weight for my recipe. Lye Concentration is a better calculation than Water as Percent.

Latest posts

Back