Soap stamping machine

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
Quite a while back, I had posted about looking for an affordable soap stamping machine, or trying to build one, since my carpal tunnel was making stamping more than a couple of soaps at a time really difficult. I realized yesterday, that I never followed up on that thread, so here goes.

There are a lot of stamping machines out there, but only if you want to spend big bucks. There's this one ( http://soapequipment.com/images/Stamper45.jpg ) for $445.00 at soapequipment.com that comes with one custom stamp. Or without the custom stamp for $275.00, although it seems that their stamper can only be used with their custom stamps, but I could be wrong. To buy additional custom stamps, it costs $175.00. So even if I did want to spend that much, I couldn't use all of the stamps I already have. And there are other machines that cost a lot more than that. But the one above is the one I focused on, since it seemed the simplest. So I started looking and came up with this... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D6KGTU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 Look familiar? That's what I thought. And sooooo much cheaper. So I ordered one, and with a few alterations, I have a stamping machine. I did have to build a little "platform" for the soap to sit on, because the stamper doesn't come down quite far enough to reach the top of the soap. And there's no way to affix the stamp to the machine, so I just position the stamp on top of the soap and bring the bottle capper down on top of it, to press the stamp into the soap. It does take a little practice with positioning, but it sure saves my hands from all that pounding with the mallet. This tray of soaps was stamped with the bottle capper. So in case any of you out there saw this bottle capper thingy on Amazon, and wondered if you could stamp soaps with it...yes, you can!

stamped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, ooh, this idea would keep me from hitting the stamp too hard and breaking my soap! Come to think of it, I already have a bottle capper. <...wandering off to find it...>

This is wonderful ingenuity! I love that you saw something similar and repurposed it. That is really great.

I especially love that all of your existing stamps can be used with it.

The feeling I get when I can repurpose something is amazing. I love repurposing things and you did an incredible job. Thank you for sharing!

That is really clever! Do you find that the imprint is more consistent this way?

That is really clever! Do you find that the imprint is more consistent this way?

There is definitely a learning curve. Each stamp seems to have it's own sweet spot, where the result is the most even. Once I've found that spot, I mark it with a felt tip marker for future reference. The carved wood stamps from India that I got on Etsy can be pressed pretty hard. Other stamps that are on a square or rectangular base take a gentler touch, or you will press hard enough to get the impression of the square base behind the stamp. But it's definitely a lot easier than hitting hundreds of soaps with a mallet and having a numb and painful hand for days afterward. So it takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty smooth sailing.

Unless you have a very soft soap (mine generally are pretty firm) or a lot of hand strength (not really) or only a few bars to stamp (usually I have several dozen), it's not practical to just press the stamp into the soap with hand pressure only. A mallet really does help to tap the stamp onto the soap, even a newly cut bar.

That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

penelopejane said:
I've never used a stamp but wouldn't it be easier to use just when you cut the soap? Or is it still hard enough then to require a strong but with a mallet?

Speaking only for myself, much depends on my formulas. Some need a mallet right after I cut, and some don't. For example, my 50% OO formula is still soft enough after cutting to take wonderfully to a gentle pressing by hand with one of my rubber stamp-booking stamps from the craft store, but not so other of my formulas. Those tend to need firmer treatment.

IrishLass :)

That is very good. Superbowl Sunday as I was using this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JVVWK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 I was wondering if I could use it to stamp soap also.

Your idea looks better.

Great minds think alike! I tested one just like that at Harbor Freight, and my soap didn't fit, but if it did, I think it might work. :thumbup:

I've never used a stamp but wouldn't it be easier to use just when you cut the soap? Or is it still hard enough then to require a strong but with a mallet?

It all depends on the recipe...and the particular stamp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back