Soap SOS!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seo

Reaction score
Hello all, and HELP!!! I just finished an oatmeal/honey soap that came together perfectly (perfect color, consistency, etc) and poured into the mold beautifully. Just went to peak at it and it's horrible! It has turned almost black and is bubbling over the mold and has actually melted the mold! Does anyone know what happened? And if it's even worth saving? I have no clue what happened, it looked so pretty (like peanut butter almost!) Now I'm kind of scared of it!! :( Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Temps were fine, no fo added to accelerate trace, I'm at a loss!

It's the honey I'd bet you a dollar! Honey really heats things up, a LOT! When I do add honey, I add only about 1/2 to 3/4 Tsp. PPO. If you use honey, you need to leave uninsulated for sure! My guess---my money's on the honey! :lol:

Paul....:) :wink:

Yup, after a lot of googling and searching and help from this board it's gotta be the honey! Who knew? Well, I guess I should have! :( Ok well, back to square one. Guess I'll try again, without the honey!

HA! Yeah, that didn't sound right, did it? Well, what I meant was I guess I'll try again and just make the oatmeal soap. After seeing what honey does, no thank you! I'm way to inexperienced for that! ;)

dragonfly princess said:
Question......how do you make oatmeal/honey soap WITHOUT honey??

Just curious :shock:

seo said:
HA! Yeah, that didn't sound right, did it? Well, what I meant was I guess I'll try again and just make the oatmeal soap. After seeing what honey does, no thank you! I'm way to inexperienced for that! ;)

dragonfly princess said:
Question......how do you make oatmeal/honey soap WITHOUT honey??

Just cut back on your honey and perhaps add it at light trace, after some of the lye has already done it's thing. This will help, and you still have oatmeal, and honey. OMH is just a FO' and you don't have to use it, but it is a great humistat in your soap.

Paul....:) :wink:

No way! ;) I'm not going near honey until I've mastered the art! HA! That was quite a shock. Just unmolded the "ugly" black soap. It's still ugly and smells terrible. I'm fairly certain it's headed for the trash can! I just can't make myself throw away something I tried so hard to create. I'll make my DH do it when he gets home- less painful that way!

Soapmaker Man said:
seo said:

[quote="dragonfly princess":eek:87n16bi]Question......how do you make oatmeal/honey soap WITHOUT honey??

Just cut back on your honey and perhaps add it at light trace, after some of the lye has already done it's thing. This will help, and you still have oatmeal, and honey. OMH is just a FO' and you don't have to use it, but it is a great humistat in your soap.

Paul....:) :wink:[/quote:eek:87n16bi]

I made oatmeal goats milk soap this past weekend and it came out really nice. It was my third batch of soap in 3 weeks so I'm still pretty new at this. I just took my regular goats milk soap recipe and added 2oz of finely ground oatmeal (ground it up in my food processor until it was the consistency of breadcrumbs).

I got beautiful golden bars of soap. I didn't even use any fragrance at all and it smells pretty nice just the way it is.

Back