Soap size

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckscent

Reaction score
So is everyones soap about the same size? I am going to build a couple molds and trying to figure out what size I need to make them. Not length but width and height Thanks......

Yea, im looking at making one 24" or even 36" just not sure of height and width. Mabr 3.5" wide and 2.5" deep? Idk

I am positive not everyone's soap is the same size. My soap is not even the same size. Size varies from mold to mold, who I am making the soap for, my mood, if I fill the mold up to the top, the purpose of the soap, if it is a test batch, etc. I have some loaf molds, that when I fill them to the top, the soaps end up square in shape; the thickness is up to me. I have some silicone molds that produce extra long rectangular bars when cut; again thickness is up to me.

My first soaps were of the extra long rectangular variety thinking they would be a good size for my husband to hold when he showers. Later with different molds, I began making other sizes and discovered I prefer smaller soaps myself. So I tend to cut soaps that I intend to use for myself more along the lines of a large guest bar; larger than hotel soap bars, and about half the size of a syndet bar you might find at the grocery store.

I guess I haven't settled on a uniform size that I feel I can use for everyone.

This is a good topic. I want to make my own slab mold (holy crow they are expensive to buy online!!). I am thinking a 9 bar would be sufficient for my current needs. How long before you outgrew your smaller molds? Is it worth it to just make a bigger mold?

Trish

I am positive not everyone's soap is the same size. My soap is not even the same size. Size varies from mold to mold, who I am making the soap for, my mood, if I fill the mold up to the top, the purpose of the soap, if it is a test batch, etc.

Actually, my soaps are pretty consistent. I used to make MP and I did sell it, so I learned to be as consistent as possible. I haven't sold for a long time, but continued to make MP as a hobby. I had some individual silicone cavity molds that were 2.5x3.5.1.25, so when I started making CP soap that is what I used. I loved making CP soap from the start, and wanted a loaf mold to start playing with color and swirl techniques. I bought the silicone loaf mold from WSP which is 2.5x3.5. I was finding I sometimes had to wait to unmold, and after a couple of months decided to get another loaf mold, and started looking at wooden ones. I tried playing around with lining a box with freezer paper which completely frustrated me, at which point I decided it was important for me to buy a wood loaf mold with a silicone liner. I decided on Nurture Soap Supplies, which is 2.5x3.5. It is a bit on the pricey side, but for me it is worth every penny. It is a work horse. Several months later I bought an additional liner. Several months after that, I bought a tall & skinny mold, and decided on Nurture's 4.5 pound mold which is 2.5wx4.5h, and I calculate the oils to give me a bar which is 2.5x3.5.

Just to say, some of us who don't sell still have consistent sized bars. My exception is if I am cutting differently for test size. Even my 1 lb BB test mold is 2 5/8 x 3.5. I think a lot of people who make their own molds keep the height and width size consistent and just vary the length.

This is a good topic. I want to make my own slab mold (holy crow they are expensive to buy online!!). I am thinking a 9 bar would be sufficient for my current needs. How long before you outgrew your smaller molds? Is it worth it to just make a bigger mold?

Trish

I still haven't outgrown my molds. My normal batch size is 2.5-3.5 pounds. I give a lot of soap away, and also donate, but still end up with an abundance. I like to experiment with technique and fragrance, and I like variety so smaller batches like this suit me well.

Even though you said you didn't care to discuss mold length, I want to chime in on that anyway. I'm coming from the point of view as a hobby soap maker who often makes 4-6 batches at a time.

My log molds are about 20" long and these barely fit into my oven when I want to warm the soap during saponification. I would not be able to warm a 24" long mold.

A 36" long mold would be sufficiently awkward and heavy that it might be hard to carry safely. A mold that long would be difficult to store while the soap is setting up in the mold and also when the mold is not in use.

I would rather have several shorter molds of reasonably decent size than a few really long ones.

Last edited:
Actually, my soaps are pretty consistent. I used to make MP and I did sell it, so I learned to be as consistent as possible. I haven't sold for a long time, but continued to make MP as a hobby. I had some individual silicone cavity molds that were 2.5x3.5.1.25, so when I started making CP soap that is what I used. I loved making CP soap from the start, and wanted a loaf mold to start playing with color and swirl techniques. I bought the silicone loaf mold from WSP which is 2.5x3.5. I was finding I sometimes had to wait to unmold, and after a couple of months decided to get another loaf mold, and started looking at wooden ones. I tried playing around with lining a box with freezer paper which completely frustrated me, at which point I decided it was important for me to buy a wood loaf mold with a silicone liner. I decided on Nurture Soap Supplies, which is 2.5x3.5. It is a bit on the pricey side, but for me it is worth every penny. It is a work horse. Several months later I bought an additional liner. Several months after that, I bought a tall & skinny mold, and decided on Nurture's 4.5 pound mold which is 2.5wx4.5h, and I calculate the oils to give me a bar which is 2.5x3.5.

Just to say, some of us who don't sell still have consistent sized bars. My exception is if I am cutting differently for test size. Even my 1 lb BB test mold is 2 5/8 x 3.5. I think a lot of people who make their own molds keep the height and width size consistent and just vary the length.

I totally agree. My soaps are really consistant. I use the same molds and cut them with my Bud Cutter and my soaps are the same always. The only exception is sometimes I'll make salt bars in individual flower molds.

The majority of my soaps are 3.5" X 2.5", which seems to be a good, general L x W dimension that pleases all my peeps, and some of my other soaps are of the tall & skinny persuasion (2" x 3.75"), with which my peeps seem to be equally pleased (at least no complaints yet anyway).

DeeAnna brings up a good point about length of mold. My longest is 12", which fits quite comfortably in my oven (and freezer if need be), and is not too unwieldy for me to handle. Three very good points to keep in mind.

TDS said:
Trish

I've been soaping for about 10 years now, and I haven't yet outgrown my molds. My favorite mold is a collapsible log/slab combo, which I've had since day 1 of my soapy endeavors. I can make as small as a 1 lb batch in it, or 2 lb batches, or 2.5 lb batches, or 2.8 lb batches, etc... and even as much as a 4 lb. batch in it. You can see it in this post here: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=514940&postcount=13

It's very rare that I make a 4 lb batch in it (only around Christmas time), but they can be done either slab'style' or 'loaf-style'. My usual size batches are about 2.5 lbs to 2.8 lbs when I'm in slab mode, which makes 9 bars of whatever thickness I'm shooting for, or 2.1 lbs in loaf mode, which makes anywhere from 7 to 10 bars, depending on how thick or thin I cut them.

To make a 1-lb batch, I put the divider in and pour 'slab-style' into one of the compartments....... or if I want, I can make two 1-pounders at the same time by pouring 'slab-style' into the other compartment..... or if I desire, maybe one 1-pounder, and one 2-pounder at the same time.

It's a very versatile mold.

IrishLass :)

Mine are 1 1/4 inch. I've seen soap anywhere from 3/4"-1 1/2". It's a personal choice. And I agree that as a beginner you don't want to use a large mold. Making 2 lbs at a time is plenty until you get the process down.

I made my own molds, they are wood and about 8 inches tall, 25 inches long and 18 inches wide. My bars are over seven ounces, about 3.5 wide, 1.5 thick and 4 inches tall.

When I made my first wooden mold, I measured a bar of Ivory and based the size on that. I don't remember exactly the size, but it's perfect. Width of the bar can vary a bit with different recipes (Bar width follows mold depth.) but I think it's around 3.5" x 2.5" and I cut them 1" thick.

Back