Soap size

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the 1.25" thickness as well and I make several different size bars. My personal favorite are tall & skinny molds. These are usually 2-2.5" wide and 3" tall. The mold I use most often is the 2X3" mold. I just like the feel of that size bar in my hand.

Actually, my soaps are pretty consistent.
Just to say, some of us who don't sell still have consistent sized bars. My exception is if I am cutting differently for test size. Even my 1 lb BB test mold is 2 5/8 x 3.5. I think a lot of people who make their own molds keep the height and width size consistent and just vary the length.

I was not saying everyone is inconsistant. I was saying I don't think everyone uses the same measurements as everyone else.

Perhaps I did not express that in my opening sentence. I am sorry if anyone read my reply as indicating others are inconsistant.

Some things to consider when choosing a soap size:

1. If choosing from commercially available molds, whether you want to buy the accessories like silicone inserts/dividing bars/cutters that are specifically made to go with those molds like BB's, Essential Depot, etc. rather than making your own.

2. What size fits best on your shower's existing drain tray/soap tray. (My shelf is rectangular so my big 3.5" x 3.5" square bars hang over and fall off.)

3. What thickness provides the best compromise between longevity in the shower, your desired cure time, and the size of your grip.

4. What kind of packaging you will use and whether it requires uniformity or not i.e. cigar bands (forgiving on LxWxH), half boxes (forgiving on H), or boxes (not very forgiving).

5. How much you typically shave off, if you use a planer to clean up soap.

Latest posts

Back