Soap Shrinkage?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How much does a soap shrink? My mold is 3.5” x 3.5”, and the boxes I’m considering for packaging are 3 1/16” x 3 1/16”. I’m wondering if after curing they will fit. 30% lye solution.

How much does a soap shrink? My mold is 3.5” x 3.5”, and the boxes I’m considering for packaging are 3 1/16” x 3 1/16”. I’m wondering if after curing they will fit. 30% lye solution.

It's going to take a few years for your soap to shrink almost a half inch on all sides. Either go with a smaller mold or a larger box.

Hi, some of mine. Look like juice boxes, with the air sucked out of them. Side are concaved. But overall size is still the same.
This is an indication that you are using too much water in your recipe.

How much does a soap shrink?
I cut my bars 1-1/4" and they typically shrink to 1-1/8" with a 33% lye concentration. A few years ago I was using 25% lye concentration because my recipe doesn't warp as it ages [and accelerates wickedly], my dimensions were about the same. As I learned to manage a fast moving recipe, I've gradually increased my lye concentration over the years and haven't noticed much variation in size.

Latest posts

Back