Soap Shelf Life

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iindeo

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone tell me what the average shelf life is on soap? My favorite base recipe contains lard, soy and coconut oils. Does anyone out there use a preservative?

I don't use a preservative. I superfat at an average of 5-6%, and my bars last a long time, the fragrance may dissipate after a certain amount of time (after a year at least if at all). Milk soaps tend to not last nearly as long. I would not count on my soap lasting as long if my superfat was any higher than it is right now.

superfatting/preservative

Thanks, I superfat at 6% as well. My main concern was the lard in the base and how that holds up over time. What is the max amount of fragrance you use per pound?

Lard and palm oil soaps tend to hold up forever. Soy not so much....I use more soy than some so I add ROE as an antioxidant.

The fragrance oil usage depends on the company and the strength of the fragrance. They should have a usage guide posted for soap....they're generally pretty much right. :) I myself tend toward the low end for heavy spice and florals, and toward the heavy end for citrus. :)

I have used anywhere from .5 oz - 1 oz FO per pound of fats, it depends on the manufacturer, and the type of scent. You can go on the lower end with florals especially :)

Back