Soap/Shampoo recommendations for my Dog

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesbond

Reaction score
Good evening,

This is James. Pardon me if this is in the wrong section or does not belong here. (moved)

I am in the USA and was wondering if any of you on here make or know of good quality shampoos or soaps for my adult Dog who has two coats.

I know there are brands in the stores but those seem like iffy quality.

Do any of you make products for Dogs?

Thank you
James

Good evening, Mr Bond.

Many people have found that a hand made lye soap has a pH which is just not good for dogs at all, so they use a synthetic detergent. I don't know if they make their own, but a lot of members have furry friends and I am sure they'll share which brands are good and which should be avoided.

I was told by my vet not to use regular soap on dogs. Too high of a ph for their skin. Plus, my dogs really hate baths. I use pet shampoo. WSP or Nature's Garden have a pet shampoo that works great and you can just add your own scent. Be sure to check what's safe for pet though as some EO/FO could potentially be dangerous.

Some do use bar soap on their pets. I don't.

Yup, I buy pet shampoo.

I do make a very simple moisturizer I use on my pets, though. I infuse liquid coconut with calendula petals and used on their dry, itchy spots. I also rub some on my hands and then pet them all over, then brush them to work it in.

Good morning and thank you to all

It looks like pet shampoo is the way to proceed. Which one do you ladies and gents recommend?
Anything that has worked better than the off the shelf Har*z brand from the big stores?

Thank you

I actually switched to baby shampoo for my dogs years ago. I found most dog shampoo left them still smelling dirty and I always worry about getting it in the eyes. Baby shampoo seems to clean better and no more concerns when washing the head and face.

I don't wash them often though, if you do, it might be a bit too harsh or drying.

Good morning and thank you to all

It looks like pet shampoo is the way to proceed. Which one do you ladies and gents recommend?

Anything that has worked better than the off the shelf Har*z brand from the big stores?

Thank you

what do you mean by "worked better"? what particular problems are you having with your shampoo or with your pet's coat or skin?

IMO, bathing is an area where we humans sometimes pretend our pets are like us - and they aren't. Unless your pet rolls in something disgusting or unsafe, or unless your pet has some kind of medical condition, baths really aren't necessary. My dog gets a bath about twice a year.

Latest posts

Back