Soap setting up really quick

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allan Green

Reaction score
Just made a batch and split it into 3 pots but setting in jugs really quick by the time I coloured the first jug the the remaining jugs were like butter

Used the following recipe
Coconut oil 300g
Caster oil. 50g
Sweet almond 50g
Palm oil. 200g
Olive oil. 400g

Water 226g
Lye. 143g
5% super fat
No fragrance

You are using 50% hard oils, so that may be the reason for the soap setting up fast. When dividing soap for swirls, etc., it is better to stick blend just to the emulsion stage. That will give you more time to work. The temperature you soaped at and the amount of water can affect trace. Here is a link with good information; Controlling Trace in Cold Process Soapmaking

Thank
You are using 50% hard oils, so that may be the reason for the soap setting up fast. When dividing soap for swirls, etc., it is better to stick blend just to the emulsion stage. That will give you more time to work. The temperature you soaped at and the amount of water can affect trace. Here is a link with good information; Controlling Trace in Cold Process Soapmaking
Thank you

Hi
You didn't mention what temperature you soaped at. I was rather suspecting false trace.
oils and lye were around 90 have used this recipe before with no problem was soaping in the kitchen which was very hot today if that helps

Your lye concentration is approx 39% I would do as Shunt mentioned and use a 30-33% Lye Concentration. If you have never tried 30% CO in your soap I would lower it to max 25% (which is 10% too 10% for me) and adding the 5% to the SAO. I find when separate batter give each a quick stir periodically to keep it looser. Do not SB.

When I am separating of batter I barely stick blend just enough to get the oil and liquid mixed and pour off quickly. If I am pouring of several colors that I seldom do more than 3 anymore I may have to stop and hit the balance of the batter again with the SB. I then bring the individual containers to stable emulsions when I add my colorants and fo to each. This does take practice but works for me.

Your lye concentration is approx 39% I would do as Shunt mentioned and use a 30-33% Lye Concentration. If you have never tried 30% CO in your soap I would lower it to max 25% (which is 10% too 10% for me) and adding the 5% to the SAO. I find when separate batter give each a quick stir periodically to keep it looser. Do not SB.

When I am separating of batter I barely stick blend just enough to get the oil and liquid mixed and pour off quickly. If I am pouring of several colors that I seldom do more than 3 anymore I may have to stop and hit the balance of the batter again with the SB. I then bring the individual containers to stable emulsions when I add my colorants and fo to each. This does take practice but works for me.

I do exactly the same. SB just to emulsion, separate, color and scent, SB to just stable emulsion, pour. Saves having to plop and pray.

Susie explained a little better than I did. My oils at my first mixing are not at a stable emulsion. Sorry, my hubby was waiting for me to leave. But that is why if I am pouring off more than I have to stop and quickly hit the batter with my SB before continuing to separate off the batter. It is a bit of a learning process.

I know. And I learned it from you. Soaping cooler with less water gives you more time for swirling and such, this process gives you even more time by not over SBing while pouring off to add colorants. You can always SB or just wait if you need thicker trace, but once it starts to thicken, you can't roll the clock backwards.

Latest posts

Back