Soap Seizing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I make a number of different soaps and most work great and reach trace after 5 to 10 mins. But I have two soaps, Pink Champagne and Rose that have a tendency to go to trace way to quick. Could I change my recipe to add more water or less Lye that would help it out so it would not seize on me, or is it my essential oils that are doing it?:eh:http://cdn.soapmakingforum.com/images/smilies/icon_eh.gif

Without seeing your recipe, I would suspect your fragrances. By the way, I know of no pink champagne essential oil, and rose EO is very expensive, so I suspect you are talking about fragrance oils. Floral FOs are known to speed trace and heating of the soap batter.

Strategies for tricky fragrances include adding the fragrance to your warm oils and then stirring in your lye. Or bringing your unscented lye and oils just to the emulsion phase and then stirring in your fragrance. Soaping with very cool temperatures. Using oils that slow trace like olive oil and palm/lard. Using full water (the default on soapcalc). Whatever you do, once the fragrance is in the mix, don't use your stick blender.

You could also try the hot process technique and add your fragrance at the end of cook.

I have a few floral fo's that just have to be hp'ed as much as I hate to hp soap. Some fo's just do not cooperate no matter what trick is tried. This is why test batches of new fo's are advisable or it making a full batch do not plan on colors or swirls and keep the crock pot ready incase you have to dump it all in and just cook it. I have one recipe that overheats, gels and seperates almost instantly so it has to be hp'ed. Spices such as clove and cinnamon are overheaters, Floral fo's have a tendancy to rice and coconut fo's tend to overheat

Floral fragrance oils are notorious for seizing. The rose I tried was terrible, had to do a re batch.

tell me about it! florals can be so frustrating :(
one jasmine i have is a fast tracer. so fast, that once it's in the mold it goes hard in just an hour. on the other hand, there's a frangipani that is so well behaved, i can even do swirls and whatever.

tell me about it! florals can be so frustrating :(
one jasmine i have is a fast tracer. so fast, that once it's in the mold it goes hard in just an hour. on the other hand, there's a frangipani that is so well behaved, i can even do swirls and whatever.
which frangipani do you use, from what seller ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back