Soap scraps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubli

Reaction score
I don't know what the official name of it is, but the shavings you get from beveling or mitering your soap....What do you guys do with yours? I don't want to throw it out because it is still good soap. I have just been wadding them up really tightly into balls and using them as normal soap. And this last batch it dawned on me, "why not use them as tooth soap?" Which I make my own tooth soap any way, seems logical. And NO I do not use fragrance or EO's or colorants of any kind.after my tooth soap is made cured and shredded I coat the shreds with baking soda and add many drops of thieves EO. I have never re-batched soap ,but once you got enough, is that something that could be done with them?

Depends on your recipe - a lot of oils make for a lousy tooth soap, by all accounts.

You could use them as embeds or confetti in another soap. Right at the bottom of this page will be a section called "similar threads" which will have a lot of information going on.

Someone on a different venue was talking about using all the left over bits and pieces to make a rebatch soap. I've been meaning to try this, as it sounds like a fun little experiment. I use a lot of different EO's and FO's with different colorants, so it should be interesting to say the least. The colors will probably fade into a blur, but I'm more interested in what the scent will come out like. It will either be really interesting, or wind up smelling like spiced flowers and fruit that's been left in the sun for too long. :)

I have been saving them too with the idea that sometime I would use them for a confetti project mill them into a new leftover shcmorgus borg of a soap, but I find that whenever I want to make soap I want to make something specific and the shcmorgus borg goes out the window and I generate more scraps to save. What I have actually been doing is shedding them down and covering them with boiling water until I get a mostly liquid state and use it for dish soap. It's kind of ghetto and with all the different additives and different soaps you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes its supper snotty slimy soap but really the risk is nothing and it seems to work as well or better than store bought.

I used to save all my soap scraps from beveling for confetti soaps, but I had built up such a huge stash of them over time that I would have had to make nothing but confetti soaps for all eternity to keep up with them all. lol Nowadays, I squish my fresh bevelings up as soon as I'm done beveling (when they are still soft and pliable), and then I press them into Milkyway-type molds to form them into usable (and pretty) soap bars.

IrishLass :)

I don't trim my soaps that much, only sides of the loaf before it's cut. If they are too ashy, I jjust toss them in the bin. If they are the right colour for the colour scheme of my next soap, I will use it as a confetti.

Ya basically, I tried Susies suggestion and BAM trace in my LS.

cool. How do you do it? How much... and to be clear you use your scraps from a standard NaOH hard bar for a liquid KOH soap? Do the base oils need to be the same? I haven't done any liquids yet but am looking to give it a shot soon as I keep meeting people who don't use bar soap (which I am oddly perturbed by).

Yes standard NAOH soap - I used gratings of my 100% coconut oil laundry soap for my mostly coconut oil dish soap, but they don't have to be the same type I don't think - Susie would be able to answer that.

My notes on my last LS batch said "Mix water with 0.5% ppo grated coconut soap, then add KOH"

WOW! I had no idea there was so much to do with scraps. I guess there really is no excuse for waste? Thanks everyone.

Back