Soap scents fizzle...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballininthamix

Reaction score
Hi there everyone. I'm new here, but I've been making my own soap for about two years now.

My problem:
My soap turns out fine, but usually by the time I get to using the second bar, the scent is all but a memory. So far I'm using mostly mint, rosemary, and sandalwood. In my last batch, I increased the amount of essential oil I used and the smell was extremely powerful while the soap was curing. Is there anything I can do to make the scent last longer? Do certain ones last longer than others?

Please help!

those EOs have very long lasting scents in my soaps - perhaps you've become acclimated to them?

carebear said:
those EOs have very long lasting scents in my soaps - perhaps you've become acclimated to them?

How long is "very long"? I'm talking like two or three months after saponification.

Maybe the oils I'm using aren't pure? Actually, I'm sure the sandalwood is mixed with a base, but it still smells very strong in the bottle. Am I adding them at the wrong time or something? I dunno...

Tell us a little bit about when you add the e/o's and how much you're using compared to the amount of base oils. That way we will have a better idea of how to help.

Your soap should still have scent after only a couple of months. I have bars that are over 5 years old and I can still smell the scent though it isn't strong anymore.

While some people add eo's to there oils at or before adding lye, I like to add mine at trace or emulsification. I have also read about people using litsea or patchouli as an anchor - maybe that would help. I also add anywhere from .5 to a full ounce per ppo. (depending on how strong I want the scent, what eo staying power etc.) Generally I find rosemary, lemongrass, basil, peppermint, spearmint, vanilla, patchouli and several others to be strong and very long lasting in soap( I find the troublesome eo's to be the citrus family.)

2 years and counting...

but pure EOs from a reliable supplier. Not some unknown blend which is god only knows what... (strong from the bottle won't give you much info)

ETA: I CP and add mine to the oils before adding the lye. in HPing (rare) I add them after the cook while the soap is still hot hot hot.

cdwinsby said:
Tell us a little bit about when you add the e/o's and how much you're using compared to the amount of base oils. That way we will have a better idea of how to help.

I think I've been adding the eo's after trace. I don't have my recipe notes in front of me, but I think I added about 1 oz. of eo per lb. of base oil.

Latest posts

Back