Soap safety of Wooden Wick Co's fragrances?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wooden Wick co. is having a 20% sale; their stuff is super expensive but I wanted to try some out of curiosity. I went looked up their usage rates, and for a lot of their fo's it's super high - like 39% and 100%. Now, I've seen those usage rates before at BB and WSP - but at WW - most seem to be over the 3 - 6% we usually see. Is there a reason for this? Are they safer? Less safe? Perhaps not strong enough for soap?

I have used their FOs and I love some of them. in fact, they have the best FOs of all fragrance companies that I have tried. Some of them smell like high end perfumes and you can tell the quality.

I have only used 2 of their fragrances in soap and it accelerated like mad..... Marigold and Cedar, Wet Fern and Oakmoss - They stuck though, they are almost a year and still hanging on

The Oakmoss and Fern is pure Jasmine, no Oakmoss or Fern. Their fragrance names are funny., most don't smell like the name so don't go by that.

I use their FOs for body lotion, Beldi and perfume oil. I have followed their usage rates for some and I only have anecdotal review of it... I didn't die and my skin didn't react to it ;)

Hope that helped.

I have used their FOs and I love some of them. in fact, they have the best FOs of all fragrance companies that I have tried. Some of them smell like high end perfumes and you can tell the quality.

I have only used 2 of their fragrances in soap and it accelerated like mad..... Marigold and Cedar, Wet Fern and Oakmoss - They stuck though, they are almost a year and still hanging on

The Oakmoss and Fern is pure Jasmine, no Oakmoss or Fern. Their fragrance names are funny., most don't smell like the name so don't go by that.

I use their FOs for body lotion, Beldi and perfume oil. I have followed their usage rates for some and I only have anecdotal review of it... I didn't die and my skin didn't react to it ;)

Hope that helped.

Lol - I'm very glad you didn't die and your skin is safe! And yes - you were certainly helpful. Btw, the gardenia and grapefruit is a nice gardenia -but absolutely no grapefruit.

I agree that the names don't match the scent (I ordered a few months ago to try in candles). But there were a couple that I wished I had saved for soap - and since they're having a sale, thought I'd try it. After belonging to WW's FB group, I've just gotten a little concerned with their business practices, and wasn't sure I could trust what little information they put on their website. When I saw the majority of their oils were very high usage rates, AND they haven't returned emails answering questions about fo's - I wondered if they were knowledgeable enough to give correct info.

Could WW simply be reporting the IFRA guidelines because they aren't in the specific business of catering to soap makers and lotion makers?

There are many FOs with IFRA rates going as high as 100% for Cat 9 (the category that includes soap), because IFRA guidelines aren't about what's reasonable to use in soap, they're only looking at limits to protect human health and environmental safety.

Some suppliers who concentrate on soapmaking tend to give a usage rate for FOs that's reasonable for using in soap -- 3-6% is typical -- rather than simply report the IFRA guidelines.

If you follow the threads here for very long, there seem to be a fair number of soap makers who think if the IFRA rate is 23%, they should be able to use the FO at 23% in soap. If I worked for Brambleberry or Nature's Garden or other FO seller, I would also want to recommend using a more sensible 3-6% to head off all the questions from folks like this. But a company that is more directed toward candle making might not have to deal as much with questions like this.

Just my 2 cents worth....

I'm skeptical about a company that charges $25 for a pound of ceramic pie weights...

I haven't tried their fragrances though...so I digress.

Could WW simply be reporting the IFRA guidelines because they aren't in the specific business of catering to soap makers and lotion makers?

There are many FOs with IFRA rates going as high as 100% for Cat 9 (the category that includes soap), because IFRA guidelines aren't about what's reasonable to use in soap, they're only looking at limits to protect human health and environmental safety.

Some suppliers who concentrate on soapmaking tend to give a usage rate for FOs that's reasonable for using in soap -- 3-6% is typical -- rather than simply report the IFRA guidelines.

If you follow the threads here for very long, there seem to be a fair number of soap makers who think if the IFRA rate is 23%, they should be able to use the FO at 23% in soap. If I worked for Brambleberry or Nature's Garden or other FO seller, I would also want to recommend using a more sensible 3-6% to head off all the questions from folks like this. But a company that is more directed toward candle making might not have to deal as much with questions like this.

And your 2 cents is worth quite a bit because I agree with you :)

Last edited:

This is exactly what I was looking for - possible reasons I hadn't thought of (because I'm not knowledgeable about how fo suppliers work).

Although now that they do sell soap and soap supplies, they may want to add soap limitations in there. Otherwise it makes them look like either: 1. They don't really know how their fo's should be used in soap 2. the lack of info doesn't instill confidence - especially when this company has been besieged with growing pains, supply problems, and consistent complaints about horrible customer service. If I soap with some of their fo's I may send them notes on my experience, in case they want to start including soaping notes.

Latest posts

Back